Thread: Hooked up scanner now car wont start.

Tuner in Training

Hooked up scanner now car wont start.

Sorry for the repost but I really need to get some input on what is going on & how I can fix it.

I just installed 2.24 & updated drivers for win 7.

Opened Scanner & connected to PCM. Radio shut off so I turned the key off & then back on. Radio came back on & dash comes on but Car wont start & the relay under the hood just clicks.

Never had this happen. What is going on? I just drove the car not 15 minutes ago so it has to do with the vats & the scanner. Also it says ABS fault on the dash as well as fuel gauge error. now I turn the key on & the fuel gauge wont go through its test cycle.

Since I posted I disconnected the batt for 20 min. the gauge cluster now works but the under-hood relay just clicks. If I try it a couple times the gauge quits working again until I reset the batt again.

I really could use some input on this as it is my DD & I cant be without my car.

I've never seen the scanner kill a car before. In your instance with just a click noise, it might be an issue with your ignition switch in the column, or that circuit alone.
    1. Does the fuel pump turn on and prime for 2 sec's when you first turn the key?
    2. Did you check the fuses for the ECM, and all fuses in this case?
    3. Is it an auto or manual?
    4. Is there a security warning on the display?
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think I have been given a rational explanation of ehat was going on. Something to do with the BCM or other modules trying to communicate with the PCM while I activated the scanner.

To answer your questions.
    1) yes the fuel pump was coming on.
    2)fuses were all fine as yesterday morning, after hooking the batt back up after being unhooked all night, the car started & I was able to do some scans. No error codes or anything funky going on now.
    3) it's a 6spd
    4)when it was doing it that is what was weird, the security light was not illuminated.

Tuner
    Sometimes a scanner can cause some modules to loose communication and when you key on they do not read each other, it is odd i have seen some scanners do this i haven't seen hptuners do it. Just disconnect the battery for a couple min and reconnect that always fixes that issue. I could be something else, make sure the ecm is getting power with key on is the 1st place to start.