Thread: VE tuning on E40, 2005 GTO

Advanced Tuner

VE tuning on E40, 2005 GTO

I'm trying to tune VE on a 2005 GTO LS2 E40. I followed the guide stickied here. I set the following tables like this:

Open Loop EQ Ratio Gas (Gear/DP) = set to all 1.00, stock is 10.0
    Open Loop EQ Ratio Gas (PN/SP) = set to all 1.00, stock is 10.0
    Alcohol (Gear/DP) = set to all 1.00, stock 10.0 (probably didn't need to do this)
    Alcohol (PN/SP) = set to all 1.00, stock is 10.0 "

Open loop ivt gain vs ivt vs map = set to all 1.00, stock is .1 to .376
    Open loop injtempgain vs injtemp vs ert = set to all 1.00, stock is various #'s.
    Open loop air gain (gear) = set to 1.00, stock is various
    open loop air gain (PN) = set to 1.00, stock is various
    Open loop eq ratio min vs. ect = set to 1.00, stock is 1.28 to 1.00

Why did I need to change the first couple from 10.0 to 1.00? Does it matter?

When I am satisfied with the ve table, do i just unfail the maf and leave the tables above set the way they are and use the wb to tune the maf curve or do I put the above tables to stock and tune the maf?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    follow guide it works set all adders an modifiers in tables per guide , use afr error % vs map rpm histogram, search filters an - use some to help with unsteady data . once done this copy ve back into file , rename each step so go back if need to. The open loop eq ratio I believe is to be left alone. http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...2-Tuning-Guide
    is what I used an has come along way with mine
    Another tip after use a wide band to get close in Open Loop Speed Density multiply % half around 1-3 % error in most cells, Switch goto Closed Loop Speed Density an use your stft error first then ltft after awhile of logging making sure you clear out learned fuel trims before starting this . See posts on filters they will be your friend if street tuning . http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...fter-Prof-Tune see post 15 thanks Again Ed Mowton!! Edit ---- Do the stft ltft corrections for lower rpm 4000 an lower do not tune PE without a wideband ...
    Last edited by JDV; 11-04-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Also something that confused me for awhile is these are all tuning phases once you have the ve dialed in an maf if using , the ve an maf are copied to your original tune fial so that the modifiers are back . Ltft an stft back on so ecm can do its job . hope this helps .

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss View Post
    I'm trying to tune VE on a 2005 GTO LS2 E40. I followed the guide stickied here. I set the following tables like this:

Open Loop EQ Ratio Gas (Gear/DP) = set to all 1.00, stock is 10.0
    Open Loop EQ Ratio Gas (PN/SP) = set to all 1.00, stock is 10.0
    Alcohol (Gear/DP) = set to all 1.00, stock 10.0 (probably didn't need to do this)
    Alcohol (PN/SP) = set to all 1.00, stock is 10.0 "

Open loop ivt gain vs ivt vs map = set to all 1.00, stock is .1 to .376
    Open loop injtempgain vs injtemp vs ert = set to all 1.00, stock is various #'s.
    Open loop air gain (gear) = set to 1.00, stock is various
    open loop air gain (PN) = set to 1.00, stock is various
    Open loop eq ratio min vs. ect = set to 1.00, stock is 1.28 to 1.00

Why did I need to change the first couple from 10.0 to 1.00? Does it matter?

When I am satisfied with the ve table, do i just unfail the maf and leave the tables above set the way they are and use the wb to tune the maf curve or do I put the above tables to stock and tune the maf?
    These tables are only used when in open loop. It basically makes it run a little richer when it's cold or intake valves are really hot, etc. All of these values are multiplied together.. so changing them all to 1 basically makes them not do anything, which makes it easier to adjust the VE table

You could have left the table that was 10 alone IF you left the one that was 0.1 alone also. They are multiplied together, so either way it works out to 1 and will work just fine.

Are you going to run SD only or do you want to use the MAF also? If you just want to run SD then once you're done you want to turn fuel trims back on but leave the MAF off. You can change the DTC settings so that it won't leave the check engine light on if you prefer

If you want to tune the MAF then you need to switch it over to MAF only mode by turning the MAF back on (set fail frequencies back to stock) and then change dynamic airflow (engine-->airflow-->dynamic) to 100 and 50 for disable/re-enable respectively. That will force it to use the MAF only for airflow calculations.

Then.. adjust MAF, if you so desire.

Once done, turn fuel trims back on, set dynamic airflow settings back to stock and have fun.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by schpenxel View Post
    These tables are only used when in open loop. It basically makes it run a little richer when it's cold or intake valves are really hot, etc. All of these values are multiplied together.. so changing them all to 1 basically makes them not do anything, which makes it easier to adjust the VE table

You could have left the table that was 10 alone IF you left the one that was 0.1 alone also. They are multiplied together, so either way it works out to 1 and will work just fine.

Are you going to run SD only or do you want to use the MAF also? If you just want to run SD then once you're done you want to turn fuel trims back on but leave the MAF off. You can change the DTC settings so that it won't leave the check engine light on if you prefer

If you want to tune the MAF then you need to switch it over to MAF only mode by turning the MAF back on (set fail frequencies back to stock) and then change dynamic airflow (engine-->airflow-->dynamic) to 100 and 50 for disable/re-enable respectively. That will force it to use the MAF only for airflow calculations.

Then.. adjust MAF, if you so desire.

Once done, turn fuel trims back on, set dynamic airflow settings back to stock and have fun.
    Very good points , guess I didn't really answer his question as to why one does this with modifiers. Would you still leave them null once you goto Closed Loop SD or MAF ? From what I took from all my reading you just copied an pasted your new VE an MAF HI & LOW to Stock file after tuning both Tables going back to a Blended Mode . So the modifiers would be back a stock setting once this is done .
    Last edited by JDV; 11-06-2015 at 03:42 PM.

I ended up leaving mine SD only, the supercharger was just making too much turbulence for the MAF to get a steady reading

What I did was left the sections of those tables where they were far away from 1 alone.. the sections where they were close to 1 I changed to just be 1 so I knew they wouldn't affect anything
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock