Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.244 Scanner crash at start??

2.244 Scanner crash at start??

does anyone have a idea what is with my font?

Unbenannt.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    I'm crashing right when I start to scan. This config use to work and I haven't loaded a new version or anything.

Capture.PNG
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Use the beta 2.25. It will be released as stable very soon.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    I sent an email to [email protected]. Is that the correct address?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Yes it is.

Advanced Tuner
    I sure hope that we're not going to be told to use 2.25 every time an issue comes up in 2.24 - especially if the same configuration worked just fine previosuly in 2.24 and 2.25 is still in beta mode. Even though 2.25 is getting closer to being stable, it still has some issues that I would consider to be major enough to not use it.

For example, I have major screen-update-related issues in the 2.25 editor. Just moving windows around corrupts the screen. 2.25 is also drastically different and it's going to take a while for people to become familiar and comfortable with it.

Until 2.25 is relaeased as "stable", it's still a beta product and we shouldn't be forced to use it if 2.24 was working just fine for us previously.

I can understand the desire to get everyone onto your new released, but please don't abandon 2.24 before 2.25 is REALLY ready for prime-time.

I'm referring to post #2 in this thread and the reposnse to ust use 2.25 instead... 2.24 is still the primary stable release of the software....

Even though it carries the tag "beta", it's essentially our current stable build, hence, why we'll be releasing it as public in the next couple of weeks.

2.24 has more bugs at this moment than 2.25 does.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure how you can have it both ways - keeping it in "beta" mode while saying that it's "essentially" the stable release. Either it's officially released as "stable" or it's not... Until it's officially released as stable, the official "stable" release is 2.24. I'm assuming that 2.24 is still being supported being as it's the only "stable" release available to the "public".

I'm really just tryng to understand if 2.24 is still supported or not. When you have people that are all of the sudden having issues with 2.24 that weren't there before, I have to think that something changed - and if something changed, surely you are still supporting those changes? Until I'm ready to move to 2.25, I expect 2.24 to keep working as it always has, that's all.

I realize that you guys want everyone to use 2.25. But until it's *fully* ready and I have something to gain by using it, I'm perfectly happy with 2.24 - it works perfectly for me (so far) and I really have no need to go to 2.25 - especially while it's in beta mode. With 2.25, I have screen update issues, can't seem to find my "Status Bits" at all, compares don't work properly, etc. And people really need time to get familair with the scanner - it's completely different than what people are used to. It's not like it's just a little different with a few new features - it's COMPLETELY different.

I'm just hoping that every new 2.24 issue that gets introduced isn't going to get the "use 2.25" answer - especially when it's still in beta mode. And hopefully 2.25 issues like the Intel screen update issue get resolved before it becomes the official stable release. There are lots of laptops out there that use Intel video chipsets!

Not trying to be difficult here, but just giving you a customers perspective - I would hope that is important to you. I just hope that 2.24 continues to be supported until 2.25 is *really* ready and released as the official "stable" version.

Thank you. I know it's not easy to release new versions of software while retaining backward compatibility with the previous version. But backward compatibility is extremely important until everyone has the opportunity to learn and move to 2.25 successfully, without issues.

2.24 isn't supported any more. We've barely done anything to it in the past year, and the last build in September was simply to incorporate the new MPVI firmware and datalogging fix. All the previous builds in the past year were mostly definition/database additions.

If any bugs are coming up in 2.24, they've always been there, they're just not that common and are being experienced for the first time now.

The only thing keeping 2.25 from becoming the official release is the documentation, which we're working on now.

We're aware of the screen update issue in VCM Editor 2.25. It's a hard one to fix.

VCM Scanner, status bits are now in the general channel display. You can insert them just as you would any scalar type channel.

The only bug we have in queue regarding compare is showing table axis on the view differences view. If this is not what you're talking about, then please e-mail support.

We have no more plans to change 2.24 in any way, sorry. That being said, 2.25 can open up tunes and logs from 2.24. It is backwards compatible in that regard. It cannot open up VCM Scanner 2.24 config files though. 2.24 config files will not be forward compatible due to their lack of information.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm GLAD that you are not changing 2.24 anymore - that's good news! :-) From some of the posts I've seen (like post #2), it seems that people are having issues with things that worked fine before, but are not working anymore in 2.24, so I assumed it was because something was changed (I know that there have been fimware updates to the hardware as well).

Like I said, 2.24 works great for me as-is - does everything I want/need it do - I just don't want to lose that functionality. Right now, it works better than 2.25 for my needs.

It is a little strange that the "stable" version of your software isn't supported though. Especially when you get this big warning when starting 2.25 that you shouldn't use it for production, etc. Makes me feel like there is no officially supported software right now.

Anyway - as long as 2.24 continues to work as it always has - I'm happy.

Thank you.

2.25 is now working better than 2.24 and is very stable and is the scanner that we will be using in the near future. I have choose to move forward with it. Just taking some time to get everything configured but I will.

Advanced Tuner
    2.25 may be working better for some, but definitely not all. I guess it all depends on the device you use for tuning and how you use the software. Right now, 2.24 definitely works better for me and my uses. With the device I use for tuning, I have major screen-update issues in the editor and the scanner is hard to use without true floating windows (small screen tuning device). Just don't like the way the scanner doesn't use windows that can overlap, etc...

I realized change is hard - I just want 2.24 to keep working until people have a need or desire to move to 2.25. As long as 2.24 doesn't get "broken" then everyone will be happy! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jtrosky View Post
    ... and the scanner is hard to use without true floating windows (small screen tuning device). Just don't like the way the scanner doesn't use windows that can overlap, etc...
    You can drag the windows around so they're all on the same pane, making it much better for smaller resolutions. Then you can dock and undock the left channels window.

I already got the 2.24 ready for working... I think it was a Windows issues. Anyway, my harddrive was to small and I bought a bigger one from Lenovo. Updated it to Windows 10 and both scanners 2.24 and 2.25 works great.
    But I'm still new in HP tuners and why should I learn on a old software without support.
    result, I work with 2.25!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners View Post
    You can drag the windows around so they're all on the same pane, making it much better for smaller resolutions. Then you can dock and undock the left channels window.
    Is there any way to resize the Channels (Table) window to display all items at once? I've been trying to get the 2.25 scanner screen to contain the same information as my scanner screen in 2.24 and have not been very successful. With 2.24, there were 2 columns in the table display, so it was easy to see everything at the same time. But without true floating windows, I can't seem to display everything at once.

Here is how I had my scanner setup in 2.24 - I'm trying to replicate this type of display - is it possible (without having to scroll the "Channels" window up and down)?

ScannerScreenshot.jpg

Thanks for your help! Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about how 2.25 "windows" work. I know I can resize and move them, but not with the flexibility I could in 2.24 (as far as I can tell anyway).

You can change the width of the channels display, as well as the font size.

You can move channels up and down as well using right click, or, cntrl+arrow. You can put the channels you care about most up top if you are logging so many channels that it is scrolling below the screen.

Advanced Tuner
    The problem is that no matter how wide I make the window, it still only dispays one column of values - so I can only display a max of 27 channels on the screen at once (with no spaces) with 2.25 - whereas I could display up to 40 at once in 2.24 (plus as many status bits as I'd like in another window).

I'm kind of curious - why the move to "non-floating" windows? I just can't think of any "pros" to that setup compared to the setup in 2.24 - at least from a users perspective. But maybe there is some technical reason that I'm not aware of... Just seems to be a step backwards in terms of flexibility in the scanner. Are there any plans to enhance this in the future (move towards real "floating" windows)?

Thanks for your help.

In the future we might be able to add double columns for the channel display.

The new layout is designed to be more friendly to resizing. It also allows you to have multiple displays for each type, ie: you can have 2+ guage displays where as in 2.24 you were restricted to 1 gauge, 1 chart, 1 graph display.

In the future, we'll have a "pro" layout mode, which will have multiple tabs, where each tab can have it's own individual layout. This will give users even more flexibility as to how they present their data.

There are some drawbacks, but there are a lot more positives. Overall the reaction to the new layout has been very positive.

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but how could the new setup possibly be more friendly to resizing than being able to size and position each window any way that you wanted, including overlapping, like in 2.24? I can definitely understand the beneift of having multiple displays for each type, but that could also be done with true "floating" windows as well.

Please don't take this the wrong way - I hope it's coming across as "constructive criticism" / "user feedback" and not just "whining" - I also just want to make sure that I'm not missing something here - as I see it, I don't see any benefit of going from fully free-from windows to the style used in 2.25. But maybe it was done for some technical reason that I'm not aware of. I'm kind of curious as to the thought process behind that decison.

You have to remember that the number of people *actually* used 2.25 on a normal basis is probably very low. Regardless of the number of people that have requested access to the beta, that's not a true indication as to how many people are actually using it. When you look at the feedback in the 2.25 beta thread, it's really only from a handful of users. Once many more people start using 2.25 with different devices and screen-resolutions, I think that you'll get a lot of the same type of feedback that I'm giving in terms of the lack of a true windowing system in the 2.25 scanner (as well as the screen-update issue in the editor).

Again, just giving some user feedback. Please don't take this as "whining". I'm sure that we are both striving for the same goal here!

Advanced Tuner
    Keith, Since you mentioned the ability to have multiple tabs with individual layouts, will there be a way to rename the tabs in the future "pro" view?

jtrosky, I understand what you're saying and I'm still getting used to the windows in 2.25 but I'm starting to like it. One problem I had with 2.24 was the windows. Trying to drive on the street or track (I'll never own a dyno unless I win the lottery) and glance down at the laptop after a run only to realize I bumped it and moved the window I need behind another. Now instead of stopping to correct the display I keep on rolling.
    Last edited by gofastwclass; 12-22-2015 at 06:45 AM.