Thread: 2004 Ram will not crank after flash on modified tune

2004 Ram will not crank after flash on modified tune

Has anyone experienced this? I searched and it looked as though this happened on a few GM cars but no work on it taking place with a Chrysler product.

A customer came in with a truck that previously had been tuned for a cam and heads setup. He bought the truck with a blown engine and went back to a stock setup. I pulled a stock truck file from the tuning repository and went to work. Once I had his tune finished, I flashed the truck's PCM and cycled the key a few times as instructed. Then when I went to crank, nothing. No starter turning over, no clicking or anything. I flashed the truck once more and had the same result.

As soon as I put in the original tune, it turned over and fired right up.

As far as the modifications I made to the tune, I left the other tuners shift points but increased the rev limiter a few hundred RPM. Then I made the necessary fuel/air/spark adjustments to put the engine parameters closer to stock. I also elected to disable SKIM and turn off some DTC errors because of long tubes etc.

Did I simply not wait long enough before trying to crank the truck? I see some people have to wait 15-20 seconds or disconnect the battery to get the tune to finalize on some Camaros. Is that the case here?
    Lead Design and Implementation Engineer - Tactical Speed Solutions

Advanced Tuner
    Re-enable SKIM, problem solved.

I thought about that, but through most of my skim and VATS experience, the truck would at least turn over. I thought the SKIM disable on NGC3 controllers was resolved?

I'll try it for $#!ts and giggles

Advanced Tuner
    Disabling SKIM on NGC3 controllers (and pretty much any other controller, for that matter) from my understanding is going to be handled via the VCM Scanner.

I'm still unsure of the purpose of those switches in the editor since the scanner will be the one to disable SKIM. But early on, I attempted SKIM disable via the switches in the editor, and it resulted in the same thing. No crank condition.

Excellent, thanks for the info boostjunky!