Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05 GTO e40 pcm swap question.

05 GTO e40 pcm swap question.

pcm died/bricked previously from my 2005 gto e40 pcm auto.
    got a replacement and have had nothing but problems.
    its an 06 M6 e40 gto so i flashed it to 06 A4 GTO and still problems.

can i flash the 05 e40 gto auto to it and not brick it?

im licensed for all 3 of these files so thats not an issue.
    just dont want to lose the pcm. they are hard to find.

thanks....

I'm interested in seeing what answers you get on this.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Senior Tuner
    If the service number/part number is correct for both years, there shouldn't be any issues.
    Jaime

I had mine flashed to Auto from M6 and no problems. I believe it was a different operating system--different #
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

i have my 05 auto vcm 72596734 OS tcm 24231674 OS
    pcm is: 06 manual vcm 12603159 OS tcm 12590424 OS

i may pickup a malibu 05 pcm, i hear is very close to these and see if i can flash it. i wont risk the 06 pcm, unless Bill or one of the HPtuners techs say its ok.

lemme know if anyone has actually done it....
    stay tuned will provide details of the malibu pcm. i hope i dont have to pay credits fro the malibu pcm as i dont care about it. i wanna write my file to it. not save anything from it. lets see...

Call the guys at PCM of NC. They can tell you for sure. I don't think you can just flash it with HPTuners.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakegoat View Post
    I don't think you can just flash it with HPTuners.
    This.

In order to properly write the new calibration to the ECU, you must do it with a Tech2 (or comparable tool; ex. MDI). When you read/write with HPT, you are only altering a few fields. Here's what I've gathered through all of my reading and experience with this topic...

I personally know a guy with an 05 GTO (originally a M6 car that went to a 4L80E) that had to end up reflashing the entire system with a GM calibration for an auto then altered it from there (4L60E >>> 4L80E). Once that is completed, you have to security link everything together so you must have the immobilizer code (PIM; 4 digits) and frequency code (BCM; 6 digits) unless you want to kill VATS. These codes should be listed on your KeyCode that can be obtained from the parts department at your local dealership for your specific VIN# as long as they are the original modules for the car. Before security linking the system (BCM to PIM first then PIM to ECM second), you will also need to make sure the VIN# for the ECU matches what the BCM and PIM are expecting (original VIN# in which they were installed; can be set with the Tech2 [my choice; original calibration from GM must be looked up using an auto VIN#, but you will have the option to change later during the programming procedure], HPT, or EFILive). For 05/06 cars, you will also need a CANdi module to link, and the security link must be done through the SPS system using pass-through. PITA, right? Hahaha

I am going through the same thing for my 04 GTO right now. It has been an absolute nightmare because my KeyCode field for the PIM wasn't populated... and it also wasn't populated for the spare PIM I acquired as well. I should have the codes by early next week and plan on flashing it with an auto calibration through a Tech2 as soon as that happens. It has taken me around a year to source a Tech2 because I couldn't pony up the cash. Up until now, I've just been running a segment swapped 4L80E file over my manual calibration and just dealing with the nuisances. Over the past few weeks, I have spend ~8hrs at dealerships trying to get the PIM code. The dealership admits that the fields are poorly populated now days, but the documentation process was much worse for the 2004 GTO models.

And, yes, the calibration IDs are different between autos and manuals... At least the base GM calibration is different.

How did you brick your original ECM? Just so that others might avoid doing the same thing. Also, what types of issues are you experiencing?

Senior Tuner
    I don't think you can just flash it with HPTuners.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTechGTO View Post
    This.

In order to properly write the new calibration to the ECU, you must do it with a Tech2 (or comparable tool; ex. MDI). When you read/write with HPT, you are only altering a few fields.
    The only portion that does not get written during a "Write Entire" with HPT is the throttle control (TAC) portion of the ECU. The engine control portion of the ECU and the TCM get completely over written, not just a few fields.

As long as the ECU has the correct throttle calibration already in place (GTO LS2) and it is a compatible service number, it will work fine. The issue would be using a compatible service number that was used on a different engine config, like the Malibu. If that engine uses a different TB and pedal (which it likely did), then the ECU will still be incompatible after the flash because the TAC would still have the wrong calibration loaded. You would have to have GM flash the ECU, in that case, to get the correct TAC calibration loaded.
    Jaime

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ElecTech View Post
    The only portion that does not get written during a "Write Entire" with HPT is the throttle control (TAC) portion of the ECU. The engine control portion of the ECU and the TCM get completely over written, not just a few fields.
    Very interesting... I have been told and have experienced something quite different as you can see in my post above. Maybe it is different for 04 vs 05/-06 cars? Still doesn't explain all of the gremlins the guy with the 05 car was having, which were later cleared up, if that is the case.

Not saying you aren't right; just saying what I am seeing doesn't appear to be the same.

When it was first changed with HPT, the cruise didn't work and neither did torque converter lockup. It had to go back and get the GM fix and then everything worked. I had to turn off VATS 1 and 2 to get my car to start. I never have relinked VATS and everything works fine.

Tuner
    When it was first changed with HPT, the cruise didn't work and neither did torque converter lockup. It had to go back and get the GM fix and then everything worked. I had to turn off VATS 1 and 2 to get my car to start. I never have relinked VATS and everything works fine.
    The idle tables are also not populated in Park for a manual tune either, and when you load an Auto file, this section isn't actually populated like you see in the tune. I also think getting the PRNDL to work correctly also requires a GM reflash (maybe just setting the PIM to "Auto" instead of "Manual" will do it; I plan to check this out once I get my PIM code retrieved).

Glad you have yours working correctly with VATS disabled. Just curious - why didn't you go ahead and security link everything after you wrote the GM calibration?

Good question----Everything works, so I didn't want to take a chance on something going wrong on the relink. I'm not sure what I would gain by doing that ?
    If you mean getting the PRNDL on the dash to work, get the 1337 vending Cluster mod program (free) and buy the cable and you can get it to work on the dash.
    Your 04 has a different computer than my 05, so I am not sure what the procedure is for the m6 to the a4 reprogram, since the TCM is built in the PCM. If you don't want to use the relays to fool the solenoids, there is a pin swap in the main trans plug to get the 80 to work on the 60 tune. The 80 works fine on the 60 tune, you just have to go in and change the trans gearing and all of the shifting programs (mph and rpm) to suit your needs. I'm sure you know this stuff already, I just felt like typing this morning.
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 10-30-2015 at 08:13 AM.

Tuner
    Good question----Everything works, so I didn't want to take a chance on something going wrong on the relink. I'm not sure what I would gain by doing that ?
    If you mean getting the PRNDL on the dash to work, get the 1337 vending Cluster mod program (free) and buy the cable and you can get it to work on the dash.
    Your 04 has a different computer than my 05, so I am not sure what the procedure is for the m6 to the a4 reprogram, since the TCM is built in the PCM. If you don't want to use the relays to fool the solenoids, there is a pin swap in the main trans plug to get the 80 to work on the 60 tune. The 80 works fine on the 60 tune, you just have to go in and change the trans gearing and all of the shifting programs (mph and rpm) to suit your needs. I'm sure you know this stuff already, I just felt like typing this morning.
    Since you killed VATS, don't you get a malfunction code in the cluster every time you start the car?

Yes, I have that cable and program as well although I chose to reset the cluster with the Tech2 for an automatic (same end result). Just because the PRNDL is displayed doesn't mean it is going to display properly. For instance, I can move the shifter to "D", and the DIC says I am in "N" or "R"... I can't recall right now. What needs to happen is get the PRNDL to talk to the PCM/PIM to communicate what gear selection is active. This is the part where I was mentioning "switching" the PIM from a manual setting to an automatic AND reprogramming the PCM.

From what I have read/heard, it is the exact same except it prompts for a TCM reprogram after the ECM is reprogrammed. This is where my friend just unplugged the Tech2 because it wouldn't allow him to exit the programming mode, and he already installed a performance programmed TCM and feared it would overwrite it, which it would have done so. Worked like a charm then just relinked the security system.

I've already been through that a long time ago. I tied my TCC on/off to the PWM, swapped the 2-3 shift solenoid signal, and killed the other signal with a resistor. Before I ever drove the car, I just went ahead and ran a 4L80E segment swap tune so I was able to remove the mess of the wafer board, relays, and resistors. I am glad I didn't choose to use the PWM to command my TCC on/off because I really like the shift firmness it is at now (100%).

I am waiting to pull the motor again this winter (seems to happen every year with me because I guess I don't have anything else better to do...?) where I can really get in there and tidy up the wires since I repurposed the rear O2 wires when I re-pinned the PCM since I was originally a manual car. Hahaha, no worries; maybe others will appreciate the documentation since this was something most of us had to stumble through in order to figure out.

Once I get everything figured out, I am just going to clone my PIM with a spare to make sure I have a back-up in case it decides to take a dump. I've already cloned the BCM so that makes me feel a lot better!

Also worth noting - the 05/06 platform now has a functioning program file that allows a selection of the trans that functions properly. Just use the dropdown menu to select "4L80E"... and viola!

I get the "Service Vehicle Soon" message every time I start it. It just hasn't bugged me enough to change it.

Did we Hijack dually's thread long enough?
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 10-30-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Tuner
    I get the "Service Vehicle Soon" message every time I start it. It just hasn't bugged me enough to change it.

Did we Hijack dually's thread long enough?
    Yeah, that would have drive me bat-shit crazy. Ex. I am running 2 very different tire sizes (245/40/18 and 345/45/18), and I get an ABS fault. I hear that the 05/06 cars can alter the settings for the DTC to get this to give "no report", but the 04s can't do the same thing (at least I haven't found the option to do so. I will be properly deleting the ABS and cruise control system just because of this. Sad, right? Never mind the fact that it will provide me much more needed room for twins where I can ditch this procharger

Hmmmm I didn't think it was too terribly much of a hijack as we've provided quite a bit of information regarding the different methods of programming the ECM.

ok from what i can remember i did a flash on the 05 pcm, then by mistake opened up an 06 in beta and flashed it. that caused the brick.
    not sure if it was the beta fault or the 06file to 05pcm flash.

If it was an M6 PCM that you flashed with a 06 A4 ---that's probably the cause. Not sure why you couldn't flash it back to M6 though?
    Last edited by Lakegoat; 11-02-2015 at 02:04 PM.

James Krager with ls1tuning killed my vats after i swaped a bcm from another car and I dont get any lights or messages on my gto except for flashing theft light. I have modded the cluster to the hsv logo and custom shut down text' dont know if that does anything.
    06 m6 gto, lq9 swap, torquer v2 112lsa, LT's, catless mids, corsa sport

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dually681 View Post
    ok from what i can remember i did a flash on the 05 pcm, then by mistake opened up an 06 in beta and flashed it. that caused the brick.
    not sure if it was the beta fault or the 06file to 05pcm flash.
    Interesting... What are you considering a "brick" condition? Have you diabled VATS to make sure it isn't a security reason causing the car to not start, assuming it's a start condition and not a complete communication error.

Quote Originally Posted by john200871 View Post
    James Krager with ls1tuning killed my vats after i swaped a bcm from another car and I dont get any lights or messages on my gto except for flashing theft light. I have modded the cluster to the hsv logo and custom shut down text' dont know if that does anything.
    Very cool. I'm not sure how it's not popping up any error messages as the general cluster mods don't alter the error messages from failed security links. Someone might know how to do it with the cable though. I'm not sure why more people just don't try the manual link procedure... Just a little time consuming, but I've heard some people's cars won't link that way. Always worth a try though.

Quote Originally Posted by LaTechGTO View Post
    Interesting... What are you considering a "brick" condition? Have you disabled VATS to make sure it isn't a security reason causing the car to not start, assuming it's a start condition and not a complete communication error.

The brick condition is a no longer responsive 05 pcm. no matter what in car or on my bench harness no response.
    from my understanding you cannot flash an 05 to 06 e40 gto or vice versa. at least thats what i was told by HPTUNERS when this occurred.

Very cool. I'm not sure how it's not popping up any error messages as the general cluster mods don't alter the error messages from failed security links. Someone might know how to do it with the cable though. I'm not sure why more people just don't try the manual link procedure... Just a little time consuming, but I've heard some people's cars won't link that way. Always worth a try though.