Thread: Looking at picking up an '04 GTO with mods...

Tuner in Training

Looking at picking up an '04 GTO with mods...

I have wanted one since they came out & now I found one that is similar to how I would do one, minus the turbo or KB. I haven't gone to look at it yet so I was wondering what you guys think.

Here is a short list of mods it has.
    Hand ported ls6 intake
    New headgaskets & valve cover gaskets
    Corvette zr1 cam
    Ls2 timing cover
    New timing chain & gasket
    tsp longtube headers
    F.A.S.T intakes throttle body
    Larger injectors
    magna flow full exhaust
    b&m billet shifter

The guy said the person doing the tuning didn't tune it after the intake & TB & the CEL was on shortly after the swap.

The car dyno'd 400hp/400Tq before the TB & Intake. The guy also said it has an LS2 in it with an LS9 cam.

Wondering if this sounds like a solid starting point & is there anything in particular I should do first.

Thanks guys.

04 gto was an ls1 so if this is a 6.0 then it has had an engine change or stroked / bored.

I always see if I can get info such as receipts for the parts.

I maybe a pessimist but believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see.

Verify the items stated, check others combinations and see if the combo in this car lines up with some of those.

If you are in my area please feel free to contact me and Ill see if I can help.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the input. The current owner didn't do the swap & only knows it has an LS2 timing cover so conclusively the rotating assembly is LS2. So if it is an all out LS2, or stroker, is the conundrum.

Senior Tuner
    Cam sensor has to be moved to the front cover/cam gear for a ZR1 cam. That would explain why you would just change the cover on a LS1 to a LS2 style with cam sensor. LS2 cover doesn't mean anything else is a LS2. And a LS2 would have 243 heads.

I wouldn't buy a modded car unless I knew the entire history.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

2xls1,

Good catch I did not see that.

He is correct and LS2 front cover does not mean it is an LS2.

Based on this info I personally would not purchase with out more info / documentation.

However it does not look like it was really hacked either.

Me personally I prefer to purchase a stock vehicle and do my own builds. I do this for my customers and recommend it. I have worked on newly purchased modded cars, unfortunately they usually require more work or changes due to the hacking. I have worked on a small portion that were well done and very thought out. Again more info / documentation is recommended and compare to known good combo's.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Cam sensor has to be moved to the front cover/cam gear for a ZR1 cam. That would explain why you would just change the cover on a LS1 to a LS2 style with cam sensor. LS2 cover doesn't mean anything else is a LS2. And a LS2 would have 243 heads.
    I looked into it & you are right, before Iread your post, ha....

There are no casting numbers n the heads on the tabs so Iwill have to pop off a VC to see what they are.

I will get under the car to see if there is still a white tag on the block. If it isn't I will yank a head and measure it up. This stuff isnt a big deal, and I'll get it figured all out & know a compression ratio before I'm done. I may even check duration & lift while I'm there. Even maybe find out where it's centerlined at.
    Last edited by gtfoxy; 10-31-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jpliss View Post
    2xls1,

Good catch I did not see that.

He is correct and LS2 front cover does not mean it is an LS2.

Based on this info I personally would not purchase with out more info / documentation.

However it does not look like it was really hacked either.

Me personally I prefer to purchase a stock vehicle and do my own builds. I do this for my customers and recommend it. I have worked on newly purchased modded cars, unfortunately they usually require more work or changes due to the hacking. I have worked on a small portion that were well done and very thought out. Again more info / documentation is recommended and compare to known good combo's.
    Well, I Fo'd on it. so it is a done deal.

I am no stranger to picking up on others peoples work. Doing it personaly then for others makes it not that big of a big deal to me. At the same time there are cars I want stock & not fiddled with. To me, this is not one of those deals. It may end up with a twin turbo by this summer. I'm thinking like 8psi by 2,800, but have the wheaties to pull 7,000. Then maybe 14-15psi on E85... Imagination goes wild. One thing's for sure, I will jump to a 2Bar SD.

Just has to make more than my last car which was 500RWHP. Pretty easy to do, all things considered.

& hey I appreciate the offer to help. I am up In NW WI, so I dont know where you are, but thanks.

Im located in NE Ohio

Not sure what your goals are but I have done 2 Eforce blower kits and for the money hard to beat. Great power and reliability has been dead on. Making over 500 was not that hard at all.

Turbo is a lot of fun but 3 times the work and not quite as reliable / repeatable as the blowers. But they sure are fun 3500 to 4000 and 10 psi on a good tune.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Tuner in Training
    I'm really torn with what I want to do. Turbos would be easy HP, as I am quite versed in turbo system building, but there is some other things I want to try just to see what happens.

I will probably PM you with some Q's if that would be OK.
    Last edited by gtfoxy; 11-13-2015 at 12:12 AM.