Thread: LS1 - 427 Upgrade

Potential Tuner

Question LS1 - 427 Upgrade

Hi All,

I'm new so I want to apologize if I make any mistakes. I will do my best.

Back Ground:

Me and my son-in-law, decided to start a project with his 1994 H1 Hummer. I had an LS1 long block out of a 1997 corvette and we decided to take out his cast iron 350 from the Hummer and put in the LS1. We are rookie's, so this has been a fun but time consuming task we have enjoyed. This was a project we have done after work, so it's taken years.

Upgrades:
    Block is 427cu - Darco wet sleeves -Professional machine shop built
    New crank, cam, pistons, valves, springs
    Fast LSXR102 Intake and throttle body
    32mm injectors w/fast fuel rails
    Headers
    Aluminum Radiator

Current issues:
    1) We used a 1998 ECM at first but had major issues with controlling the transmission control, so we got a new ECU/ECM/PCM Standard EM0411U which I was able to purchase an adapter for an old style 4l80E. Have to change two pins, but seems straight forward. But do need to update ECU with code to run old style 4L80E. Trying to get this work physical work done this weekend, along with replacing a crack header on drives side.

2) It runs so rich it has no power and I mean rich!!! It does idle, but don't know after I replace the ECU

3) Need major help with tuning, we are absolutely rookies. I do have the software load on my laptop. Haven't hooked up USB adapter to the Hummer yet, since the new computer isn't install yet (Hopefully this weekend)

My dream would be for someone to come over an help us (Portland, Oregon) . Of course I'm willing to pay for an expert's time, knowledge, and advice. Would be willing to drive to your place to get the right help. Just send me an email if you have experience, desire, and the time to help?

George Heckman
    [email protected]
    971-322-8746

Potential Tuner
    Was wondering if it would be a better idea to just load the EM0411U with a complete file? Doing this would might solve a lot of issue's? Any one have any suggestion on what would be the best bin file to load?

1) Corvette with a 7.0liter, then do a 4L80E swap?
    2) 2002 2500 Silverado 6.0, which already has the 4L80e, then just tune for specific motor improvements?
    3) Other bin, I don't know about?

thanks for any suggestions or help?

George

Senior Tuner
    post a copy of the file you are using now that was pulled from your pcm using 2.24. Post your heads and camshaft.

So sounds like you got the hard part behind you....it starts and idles. Need to supply a bit more info like what injectors (P/N) as I am not sure what 32mm injectors are. What is your tuning strategy? If it is rich, recommend setting to MAF only and tuning MAF. Again, The injector data is the most important thing to get right to start.

I can offer a free evaluation session to see where you are at and how to direct you in the right direction. Sounds like you are starting the tuning process from scratch. Visit our website (link below) for details on how to book a session.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]