Thread: Car will not idle above a 12.5ish AFR - Injectors?

Tuner in Training

Car will not idle above a 12.5ish AFR - Injectors?

I am pulling my hair out on this one. I cannot get the car to idle around stoich.

5.3 with tick stage 2 turbo cam
    80lb SD injectors
    Boost referenced regulator set at 58psi with no vacuum on it
    Changed min fuel to .002 in transient.

Adjusting the VE table down to almost 0 has no effect on it. I have tried boundary timing from 6-7.5 with no results. Dropped IFR from 92.4 to 60 (made it richer) and up to 120 which had no effect.

I am using Banish's offset values and short pulse adder. Direct copy pasted. Is there something I'm missing here?

testtune10-7.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    If your running SD looks like you MAF is not failed, set high dynamic airflow (high rpm disable) to 8000

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    you switched your flow rate over to boost reference but you never switched your offsets to boost reference.
    the data i have shows the 80# SD's flowing 89.23 lb/hr @ 58psi. since your regulator is 1:1 and the flow rate is measured at 0 kpa then all the offset data for voltage compensation should match horizontally. this way as the kpa value changes the ecu wont make an injector flow correction since the 1:1 regulator function is already changing fuel flow for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 10-08-2015 at 02:40 AM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by will15 View Post
    If your running SD looks like you MAF is not failed, set high dynamic airflow (high rpm disable) to 8000
    I have it failed in 3 other places.. but I'll change that too, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    you switched your flow rate over to boost reference but you never switched your offsets to boost reference.
    the data i have shows the 80# SD's flowing 89.23 lb/hr @ 58psi. since your regulator is 1:1 and the flow rate is measured at 0 kpa then all the offset data for voltage compensation should match horizontally. this way as the kpa value changes the ecu wont make an injector flow correction since the 1:1 regulator function is already changing fuel flow for you.
    Holy derp, I guess it never occurred to me that the voltages shouldn't change either. I just figured "copy banish's data and dont question it" .
    I'll definitely make that change as well and see what happens

Tuner in Training
    On that note... is there anything else in the tune that seems goofy or off?

Chop your transient fuel mass min milligrams down in the transient tabs, try .021 or so. It's apparently a factor as well in the fuel control

since your injectors don't have any data with them other than the generic banish data i would do an injector offset verification to make sure you have a good working base. since these are most likely in the vehicle it will be hard to test lower voltage offsets since the alternator will keep the system charged. as long as that common voltage range gets checked then the majority of the tune should be easier to smooth out.

skim through the attached file it has some good generic data on offset verification.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by xrelapse13 View Post
    Chop your transient fuel mass min milligrams down in the transient tabs, try .021 or so. It's apparently a factor as well in the fuel control
    it is set to .002 right now, which is what I read from dsteck and a few other people. Or should it be .02?

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    since your injectors don't have any data with them other than the generic banish data i would do an injector offset verification to make sure you have a good working base. since these are most likely in the vehicle it will be hard to test lower voltage offsets since the alternator will keep the system charged. as long as that common voltage range gets checked then the majority of the tune should be easier to smooth out.

skim through the attached file it has some good generic data on offset verification.
    Im not really sure I fully understood that document, nor do I have the stuff required to do it

its saying setup a decent file...tune for ve the best you can with a idle you plan on running. once your ve is pretty much set add 10% to the entire table. if your injector offset is setup correctly then the ecu will show it is rich by 10% when you scan it.

Tuner in Training
    got it. the question is, how do I get a baseline for my offset values? I copied the 0kpa column across the table. Immediately upon startup it went kinda lean, 16-17 afr. It then leaned out and was idling around stoich for 20-30 seconds and then it inched its way down until I was idling around 12.5 again.

Still can't lean it out in the ve taking out upwards of 50%, but if I add 10-20% it'll go super rich.

I even took out 5% out of the offset tables which made it start up a ton more lean, but it would still inch its way back down to rich eventually

If I put it in reverse and back up, it'll shoot up to 13.5-14. So im guessing as soon as it sees some load.
    Last edited by Burntz; 10-08-2015 at 07:40 PM.

The injector data in the tune I am attaching is not Greg Banish data but it works very well. Please feel free to copy and paste this data and try - I think your short pulse adder and minimum injector pulse tables are causing your grief.

also don't set minimum fuel miligrams so low - your throttle response will go to poo (causes it to go real lean when you crack the throttle)

Tuner in Training
    I copied your short pulse adder and minimum injector pulse data, ran super lean. added the ifr and offset tables, wont start at all lol.

Tuner in Training
    So all of my injectors on the passenger side have vacuum leaks. All the drivers side ones are fine. I bought some fuel rails off eBay from a guy "Fasster". They look nice and seemed nice but Im thinking his machining was a tad bit off. His fuel pressure regulator and steam line kit work great though.

Hes an awesome guy to work with so I'm sending them back and just ordered some Holley EFI rails. Hopefully some better luck with those. I dont know if that could have been causing my rich idle condition though as bad as it is?

well if extra air gets by then it tells the ecu to add extra fuel so it can very much so be that.

Tuner in Training
    KPA is down near 35 at idle. That seems pretty damn low. attaching a log and config file.

AC&AF%Error.cfg

afterallgeochanges.hpl

Tuner in Training
    So I made some headway. I lowered the mimimum pulsewidth and default pulsewidth to .593 and it seems to be alot better. It still idles way lean right after starting then works down but only drops to about 13.5-14 now. Letting closed loop take over gets idle right to stoich. It'll pull 5-7% from bank 1 and bank 2 is 0-3%. Weirdly enough the vacuum leaks are on bank 2. So who knows. New rails tuesday and will be boost leak checking everything.

Tuner in Training
    just thought id post an update

basically my injectors wanted a fuel flow rate of about 69 across the board. No idea why. Also ran essentially stock ls1 injector values for everything else and they started working.