Thread: E38 - ECT Fan % modifers - VSS and others

Potential Tuner

E38 - ECT Fan % modifers - VSS and others

Good afternoon,

I've only found one post from several years back where Chris@HPTuners commented that yes, there was a complicate set of tables for VSS Fan % modifers.

Is there a good place for documentation on what modifers there may be for ECT fan %?

I'm curious to see what VSS does to fan %. Here's the case.

I have an LS3/6L80e in a Jeep JK. Crawling around at 5 mph, the engine stays pretty cool. For reference I have two relay enabled fans, have the program set to discrete, and have set the fan % ECT to be 0% @ 192, 51% @ 207, 100% @ 214

This works as expected, a single fan after 207, and both fans at 214.

However, on a highway drive, the engine heats up more than I think it should. The Jeep is 6,300 lbs and a brick with 40" tires but sometimes the temp gets to 230. I'm pretty sure part of the issue is the winch in the front bumper, it's mounted low but the top looks like a wedge and might be pushing the air over the grill openings. (That's another issue I'm looking at)

However, after seeing the VSS settings, I'm very curious as to what the VSS modifier does to the fan %, as VSS lo is set to 31 mph, VSS hi is set to 40 mph, and VSS max is 99 mph.

As my ECT fan % table is set to 100% on any temp above 213, is it possible that some modifier is removing enough fan % to get the number down to 50%, thus kicking off one of the fans?

I know, at highway speed, electric fans shouldn't be necessary, and I will be removing the winch for a test, but now I'm curious about what else affects the ECT fan %

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    You should be able to monitor the fans in the scanner and see what they are doing under various conditions.