Thread: 2008 Tahoe 5.3 AFM/DOD Disable Having Some Issues

Potential Tuner

2008 Tahoe 5.3 AFM/DOD Disable Having Some Issues

Hello, I have a 2008 Tahoe 5.3 that I have mechanically deleted the AFM/DOD:

Replaced parts with:
    Lifters GM 12499225
    Lifter Guides GM 12595365
    Valley Cover Plate GM 12598832
    Camshaft GM 12625437

The vehicle is on 'Limp' mode with no power, Engine idles a bit rough

Would the HP Tuners Performance VCM Suite Standard GM Vehicles MPVI Std 6011 have the feature to Disable the DoD/AFM?

I been lurking around this forum and some people seem to have problem using the disable feature, such as this forum:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...isfire-1-4-6-7

or

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...I-did-a-search

Just pulled the trigger for the HP Tuner 6011 - hoping for the best, never tuned a vehicle in my life - would this be simple as installing the software and plug it into my Tahoe? Thank you
    Last edited by Destroyer357; 10-17-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Just pulled the trigger for the HP Tuner 6011 - hoping for the best, never tuned a vehicle in my life - would this be simple as installing the software and plug it into my Tahoe? Thank you

No

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post

No
    Thanks for the helpful comment

I am sorry for the short comment its going to be a big learning curve. Be patient and post up some specific problems you have and don't forget to include your tune and any logs and you will get the help you need.

Potential Tuner
    I am pretty sure it will be a big learning curve, but at the moment though I just want to learn how to disable the DOD/AFM feature on my car and it seems that some people are running into trouble. I know I have to 'disable' the DOD Feature, but apparently there are also different 'codes' I need to disable as well - that I am trying to figure out. I am receiving the tuner on Monday.

I know for now I have to get the latest Beta...which I have no idea what that even means.... a big learning curve indeed.

You can disable the DoD/AFM and any related codes with the non beta version of HPT. The most recent 2.24 build is enough.

I didnt look into the exact camshaft you bought, but because you did swap it out it should run more normal and not misfire once the codes and such are gone.

The DoD cam has different lobe for those 4 cylinders and won't work if you delete the other parts.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 10-17-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

once you are in vcm editor all you need to do to disable DoD is go to the Fuel tab then COT/lean cruise tab then there is a master enable/disable button at the top of the DoD settings. you will see it, its quite easy.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, is this the same as "all the dtc'c for dod need to be turned off also or the ecm defaults to 4cly mode" ?

I am just worried about being in the same boat as this guy:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-removal-issue

You did install a non dod cam didn't you?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    You did install a non dod cam didn't you?
    Yes sir I did, just worried about 'things' not going as planned after spending all this money

It's only money...

Disable DOD:
    Fuel-->COT/Lean Cruise--> set DOD to "Disable"

To disable variable camshaft:
    Airflow-->Variable cam shaft. Set "Camshafts" to "none".

Any codes that pop up related to not having whatever hardware anymore:

go to engine drag-->DTC's, find the ones that are being set and set to "do not report", uncheck SES
    Last edited by schpenxel; 10-19-2015 at 08:44 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Potential Tuner
    All done, disabled! However, now I am getting P069E and have low fuel pressure....anybody ran into this problem before or maybe I have bad fuel pump?

I've never seen that one so I'm not much help unfortunately
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    In a nutshell the system is displeased. Fire up the vcm scanner and try to connect to the feul pump control module. That code means there is a stored code in that module. Possibly you missed a dtc. If you cant get to it, it will need to be sdcanned and clelared by someone with a diag tool. Modis/solus/tech2

DTC P069E
    Diagnostic Instructions
    •Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle Prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
    •Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
    •Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
    DTC Descriptor
    DTC P069E
    Fuel Pump Control Module Requested MIL Illumination

Circuit/System Description
    The fuel pump control module constantly monitors the fuel pump control system for any condition which may adversely affect vehicle emissions. If a condition is detected, the fuel pump control module sets a DTC and sends a serial data message to the engine control module (ECM). The ECM sets DTC P069E to inform the technician that the fuel pump control module has set the emission related DTC. The serial data message sent by the fuel pump control module also contains a request for the ECM to illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).

The technician can observe the DTC that was set by the fuel pump control module by reviewing the ECM Freeze Frame records on the scan tool. The ECM Freeze Frame records also contain the engine operating conditions present when the fuel pump control module DTC set.

Conditions for Running the DTC
    The ignition is ON, or the engine is running for greater than 3 s.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
    The ECM receives a serial data message from the fuel pump control module indicating that an emission related DTC has set in the fuel pump control module.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
    •DTC P069E is a Type A DTC.
    •DTC P069E will continue to be current or active as long as the fuel pump control module is requesting MIL illumination.
    Conditions for Clearing the DTC
    DTC P069E is a Type A DTC.

Diagnostic Aids
    Communication codes, U-codes, as well as powertrain codes, P-codes, set in the fuel pump control module will cause the fuel pump control module to request DTC P069E to be set in the ECM.

Reference Information
    DTC Type Reference
    Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions

Scan Tool Reference
    Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
    Note:

◦Do not replace the engine control module for this DTC. DTC P069E is an informational DTC.
    ◦Correct any engine control and communication DTCs before diagnosing fuel pump control module DTCs.
     1. Verify there are no engine control or communication DTCs set.
    ⇒ If a DTC is set
    Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle.

⇓ If a DTC is not set
     2. Verify there are no fuel pump control module DTCs set.
    ⇒ If a DTC is set

⇓ If a DTC is not set
     3. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
     4. Verify the DTC does not set.
    ⇒ If the DTC sets

⇓ If the DTC does not set
     5. All OK.
    Repair Instructions