Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: having some knock with low timing need help

Tuner in Training

having some knock with low timing need help

Car is a 2011 auto with One 3 twin turbo kit
    80lb ford racing injectors
    running around 6.5psi

I have a couple issues but the main one is knock.

I actually didn't know it was knock until I found out negative values are in fact knock....on the overview graph in the scanner they don't show up that way so I didn't think much of it.

Now I'm getting around 2-6 counts and its pulling timing all the way down to 8-10 and a new log it goes all the way to 5.5. Not sure if its real knock or not.
    its also very rich...around .72-.76.

Also during WOT shifting between shifts it seems the tps is closing quite a bit...trying to figure out how to fix that. seems to go as low as 30% while 100% is commanded

I have attached a 1/8 mile pass as well as one after I made changes to the trans

Thanks,
    Last edited by black05silverado; 09-29-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Where is the attachment?

Tuner in Training
    34 goes with 926transupdate also took out 10% on the upper periods in the MAF table
    track1 goes with 926

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Log intake air temperature. You should return your IAT multiplier back to stock. Let the ecu pull timing as IAT increases, high iat's increase fuel burn rate and will lead to knock.

Tuner in Training
    I will log IAT...not sure about the IAT miltiplier...I got a base tune from a tuner and modified it, can you tell me where that is?

Do you really think its knocking at 10 max and going down from there to 6-5? with such rich air fuel ratios?

Really having a hard time with this one

Tuner in Training
    Attached you will see a compare to manual transmission 2011 5.0. The green tabs have been changed from stock. Under IAT Spark Mult. Download a stock tune from the repository to compare your current tune

5.0 Spark compare.jpg

Banned
    Which version of the VCM Suite are you using?

Full build number

EDIT: If you are on 2.25.2484 or newer, you are not having any knock at all. The PCM is actually adding timing.

-Matt
    Last edited by MattH@HPTuners; 09-30-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Tuner in Training
    The current log shows it is pulling timing as KR increases. Current tune has the knock advance limit zeroed out past 3k.

Tuner in Training
    It also drops down to 4.5-5 degrees of timing.

anyone adjust the knock sensor when running a turbo setup?

Seems very low timing for counts of knock

Tuner in Training
    Also I was on the old version I have since upgraded but the log is from the version that shows knock as a negative value.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by black05silverado View Post
    Also I was on the old version I have since upgraded but the log is from the version that shows knock as a negative value.
    This means that the PCM is adding timing and no knock is detected.

-Matt

Advanced Tuner
    Have you checked your exhaust to make sure nothing is hitting when the engine torques? I know the ON3 kits had some clearance issues.

Tuner in Training
    Empty fuel tank. Run some high octane race with similar stoich point to pump fuel and see if it still knocks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BNA View Post
    Empty fuel tank. Run some high octane race with similar stoich point to pump fuel and see if it still knocks.
    Its NOT knocking.... If the knock is showing a negative value that means it's adding timing as of 2.25.2484 or newer,

Tuner in Training
    OK. With the knock advance table at zero what allows more timing?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH@HPTuners View Post
    Its NOT knocking.... If the knock is showing a negative value that means it's adding timing as of 2.25.2484 or newer,
    "I have since upgraded but the log is from the version that shows knock as a negative value"

Banned
    Whoops misread that

Tuner in Training
    So I finally decided to try and rule out knock..I added 116 race fuel to take no chances...while there is less knock on the first log oct 2 8 timing seems to be pulled down to negative numbers but no knock is present. Not sure whats going on there.

could the 91 I run really be bad enough to start knocking at 10-11 degrees of timing?

here is the logs

let me know your thoughts

Also to be clear I'm using version 2.25.2487 so there is no confusion positive numbers indicate knock values
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I think you should add Spark Source to your log. I would bet it's tip in detonation causing the knock reading.
    Did you check for exhaust contact?
    Last edited by txcharlie; 10-05-2015 at 09:35 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Log Oct 2 8 the negative spark is probably related to torque management since you lifted the throttle. You picked up a little KR after the shift that may be false or as txcharlie suggested exhaust contact. Compared to the last logs its definitely not picking up KR with the race fuel. Last log was still pulling timing at the end of the run.

IMO 91 pump does not tolerate your current spark curve. Remember this is a high compression motor. Try pulling more timing at peak load and leaving the 10-12 degrees as load decreases and rpm increases.
    Last edited by BNA; 10-10-2015 at 06:28 AM.