Thread: bucking after cam swap

Advanced Tuner

bucking after cam swap

can any one shed some light on this bucking/surging after a cam install 216 224 0.580 0.580, cam so not that big. It only dose it on decel or high gear light throttle.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry check out in the log, fame 9100 to 9200.

Senior Tuner
    i have a similar issue with mine at the moment but since i have another issue i cant drive it enough to sort it out yet, all i did find was so far is the spark smoothing "max torque loss" can affect it and im trying to find a way to keep it there but use the "low torque gain" table to minimize it around the issue rpm, with mine if i disable spark smoothing all together it goes real jurkey at steady state driving so im in the middle of finding a way around keeping it and removing the bucking, my high torque gain table is all zero and threshold set to 800, your max torque loss at 90 id reduce that and see if it helps i had mine at 10 and it made a big difference but also see what its like driving around u may have to make it higher and then change the low gain table in the rpm area, i havnt done a super lot in this area yet so its still trial and error... here is a good explanation of how the spark smoothing works http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ing-parameters

Tuner in Training
    often times, in my experience, when the ve is dialed in and there is still low rpm bucking at cruising speed adding 3-5* of timing will clear it up.

Advanced Tuner
    ok this thing is really starting to shit me, i think i have re-flashed this thing about 150 times and it still trailer hitches/bucks/surge call it what you will. i have added timing to every table that is in play, i think, i have then tried reducing timing, i have tried more base air, less base air. proportional table and integral table adjustments. idle adaptive spark control adjustments, spark smoothing adjustments. I guess ill try EOI timing now!!!!!!!. Thanks guys any more tips very appreciative.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    post your cam specs advertised .006
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    Dam i will have to wait until tomorrow the spec's are at my work shop, i just took a bit of a stab in the dark and reduced EOI timing table and it is still doing it. I have never done a cam swap on a manual only auto's and never had this problem.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by will15 View Post
    Your spark is a bit funky in that part of the log... makes me think it's something to do with torque management.

Advanced Tuner
    I could be wrong but... in his "idle speed min vs vss" table, its set for 1000-1050 rpm depending on gear (in the log he is going 20 mph). His coastdown timing is 13 to 19 degrees at about 900 rpm and 18 g/cyl. It looks like his over/under speed timing control is going nuts in that area causing the bucking (frame 9100).

Thats what I see. I could be wrong. Im still learning and tweaking my cammed G8...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by will15 View Post
    Ive tuned a few with fair to large size cams, Im no pro so take this advice for what you think its worth... Go to the Idle Adaptive Spark control under the spark tab. It looks like your overspeed in gear and P/N do not match. The in gear looks more like factory, rest the P/N to match that. Then highlight the whole table and enter -2 in the white box and click the +. Do the same for P/N and gear. Then go to the Underspeed and do the same but with a 2 and not -2. This should give the vcm spark tables the freedom to follow the cams lope instead of forcing a fire and causing an issue. You may have to or feel the need to continue adding to both tables to open up the tables freedom.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcgwier13 View Post
    Ive tuned a few with fair to large size cams, Im no pro so take this advice for what you think its worth... Go to the Idle Adaptive Spark control under the spark tab. It looks like your overspeed in gear and P/N do not match. The in gear looks more like factory, rest the P/N to match that. Then highlight the whole table and enter -2 in the white box and click the +. Do the same for P/N and gear. Then go to the Underspeed and do the same but with a 2 and not -2. This should give the vcm spark tables the freedom to follow the cams lope instead of forcing a fire and causing an issue. You may have to or feel the need to continue adding to both tables to open up the tables freedom.
    Thanks for the tip but i have tried that one, it's one of the things the tuning school tell you to do but the funny thing is i have all ways had better luck with just taking a small amount of timing out of those tables so the gap is not so big and let the spark follow the cam a bit more.

Advanced Tuner
    Im still waiting for those cam spec's ill let you know

Advanced Tuner
    Ok just about got this dailed, not enough timing had to go about 32 deg in the problem area's. Only have bucking in some decel area's where timing is dipping to the low 20's. but my question is what the hell table is dropping timing down that low, i have set every table in the low 30's but it still is getting to the low 20's on slow decel. Check fame 31186 in the log cheers..

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    log spark state
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    log spark state
    Here's a log of all the spark stuff i could log, couldn't find a pid called spark state.