Thread: retrofit tuning

Potential Tuner

retrofit tuning

I have searched the forums, and I can't find it. Is or has anyone done a retrofit into an old mope where they are running a '10 5.7 ( Challenger motor) with VVT using an 05 ram pcm? I want to delete the trans functions, mds, evap, downstreams etc, but keep and tune the VVT and use a 6.4 cam. I know this can be done through CMR tuning, but unsure if they load a different/ custom OS ( apperently this is top secret info) and unsure if HPtuners can do this if that is how it is accomplished

Potential Tuner
    nobody? wow ok then

I have been very involved in these swaps and researching various methods. The issue with your scenario is the mix of parts. There are solutions however.

First, the 2009 and up engines are different than the 2003-2008. They have different cylinder heads, intake manifolds, Reluctor tooth count etc just to name a few. Also the wiring to the PCM is vastly different. This is why it is easier for you to stick with a 2009 and up PCM.

HP tuners does not have the ability to delete SKIM which is the security interface yet on chrysler PCM's, though they have been working on it a long while. So no matter what chrylser route you choose, you will have to pay $150 and send the PCM off to have the SKIM disabled. I believe there are members of this board that can do it, but they do not want to reveal their secrets on how to at this point.

You can use the infamous 05 pcm on an 03-08 engine, but you may have to repin the NGC connectors if the harness does not match the year or model vehicle of the 05 truck PCM. People use that PCM because they are far easier to work with and non-canbus.

All 2004 and up chrysler hemi engines have separate transmission controllers instead of routing through the PCM like earlier GM's. If you delete the error codes with HP tuners, you will not see any engine issues running an old school 727, 904 or A-833....but VVT will not likely work with those setups unless you do some serious engineering. if you keep the factory 10 transmission and pcm, you will be able to retain VVT. Also keep in mind that you will have to replicate the vehicle speed sensor to make those things work. So BCM, ECM/TCM, Speed sensor blah blah, all because they run on a looped canbus network.

Can you make it work, yes. Does it get complicated, Oh yeah. But it isn't impossible.
    Lead Design and Implementation Engineer - Tactical Speed Solutions