Thread: FRPP Coyote Controls Pack Stalling

Tuner in Training

FRPP Coyote Controls Pack Stalling

I've got a FRPP CP coyote in my MK4 Factory Five and am sick or the stalling when aproaching a stop, what do I need to tweak to get this to stop?

Do you have the speed dial installed on your car?

Tuner in Training
    No, I have an MT-82 which is supposed to be able to be connected direct to the PCM but I still get stalling and backfiring.

Ok, I am still learning a lot about tuning the coyote, so I don't know too much about that assuming this isn't a mechanical problem. I am doing a cobra right now, but with a TKO and Coyote. I'm working on the wiring right now so I guess the speed dial install will be coming up soon for me. I have been wondering myself if the PCM will need any extra calibration once the speed dial is installed, or if it is an ultimate solution to the stalling problem. The control pack PCM's don't use torque based decel, they use dashpot, hopefully others will chime in soon about dashpot tuning if it is in fact needed. I know there is one member on here who was tuning his cobra project with HPT. I wanna say you should be able to log vehicle speed if everything is wired up correctly, but that's another question I want the answer to lol, maybe the control pack PCM is incapable of displaying this data.

I found this post on another forum for wiring the mt82 vss into a control pack PCM, if you wanna take a look and see if everything is hooked up correctly. You can call Ford Racing and they will send you two pins to use to wire the VSS into the PCM harness, no questions asked. The speed dial only needs two pins, you need three from what I can tell(if you haven't already done this). Best of Luck!

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-s...ps-suck-4.html

"Golddust, you are a lifesaver. I've been having a similar problem with my Coyote Swap and 6spd MT82 trans in my Sport Trac Adrenalin. I just went out and ran wires from the VSS sensor on the trans directly to the PCM pinouts, and it actually fixed the problem!

The only thing to point out was the PIN ID was wrong on the file you had here. I went back to my wiring diagrams for the 2011 Mustang GT, and it should be PIN 3, PIN 14, and PIN 41 for the 3 wire VSS sensor. PIN 38 that is listed is actually for tht reverse lights according to the wiring diagrams and 2011 Mustang trans harness I have here.

I did not need need the calibration box, because its the MT82 that came with the Coyote, so it knew what to do with the sensor.

Although the truck wasn't always stalling, when the clutch went in, the idle would always fall real low, and 1 in 10 times shut off. On top of the idle, it would produce a puff of oil smoke out the tailpipes like it was sucking so much vacuum it was pulling it from the crankcase or past the valve seals. And it was also producing an annoying backfire on decel, usually small ones, but on 2 occassions, they were extremely loud backfires, usually just as you touch the pedal to come out of decel. All of that is now GONE simply from one stupid VSS sensor.

Ford Racing, if you're listening... you caused me a great deal of money, time, and extensive research to find this problem, and in the end it was just some wires you forgot to put into your control pack harness. I'm hoping your future revisions include a Blunt lead for the VSS sensor signals! I'm really surprised you didn't find this in initial testing of the Controls Pack as a swap kit"
    Last edited by AKDMB; 09-23-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Based on a few other builds I've seen over on FFcars I know that JMS offers a tune to fix the stalling. I actually found the same thread you posted but on a ranger forum I believe, now that I have the logging capability I should take a look at the VSS.

Tuner in Training
    Following the instructions of the speed dial of PIN 38 & PIN 14 I see no speed signal coming through with the MT-82, however, I enabled torque based decel for the ghost cam effect and that seems to have eliminated the back firing and stalling.

Quote Originally Posted by 92sho16 View Post
    Following the instructions of the speed dial of PIN 38 & PIN 14 I see no speed signal coming through with the MT-82, however, I enabled torque based decel for the ghost cam effect and that seems to have eliminated the back firing and stalling.
    I know Eric said that the Control Pack PCM's used dashpot instead of torque based decel and that this is what created the need for a speed input to the PCM via the speed dial. I thought this meant that the Control Pack PCM was incapable of torque based decel, but I guess I was wrong. I'm glad that fixed your problem, I will keep this in mind when I go to start tuning. I wonder why torque based decel was turned off in the first place?

Advanced Tuner
    With tq based decel off running dashpot on my car, the car would stall if idle airflow was too low. it would hang coming down if idle airflow was too high.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    With tq based decel off running dashpot on my car, the car would stall if idle airflow was too low. it would hang coming down if idle airflow was too high.
    About how much did you increase idle airflow to avoid stalling? Also, where is idle airflow located?

Advanced Tuner
    Idle>Airflow "Idle airflow" for "drive" and "p/n".

I messed with the drive table and added small amounts till i got it where i wanted it. It was too high once i changed injector settings (long story) and went back the other way. I dont remember where i ended in relation to stock but I just went 2-3% at a time till i got what I was happy with. I added less to the higher rpm values than the lower.