Thread: Tuning for Altitude

Potential Tuner

Tuning for Altitude

Hey everyone, I am pretty new at tuning and just recently got to Utah. I had my car tuned for sea level but now I am at 5k ft and was wanting to tune it accordingly. I don't have a A/F meter to tune off of but was wondering if anyone on here has tuned for altitude before and if so what did you do? I have a 98 SS Ls1, A4, Long Tubes, Fast 90, 90mm TB, ORY and that's about it. Thank for any help yall.

Advanced Tuner
    If you have tuned maf(not SD) the tune shouldnt be way off.

Advanced Tuner
    If you were tuned correctly you should be fine. If it's a hacked together POS tune, then you're screwed.

Potential Tuner
    Well it seems to be a pretty good tune, it was a mail order from Frost. It runs 13.0 on street tires spinning off line and shifts like a monster.

Make sure you are still getting into power enrichment seen a lot of tunes set to enable PE @ 85 kpa and you will never see 85 kpa above 5000 feet.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianmullen78 View Post
    Well it seems to be a pretty good tune, it was a mail order from Frost. It runs 13.0 on street tires spinning off line and shifts like a monster.
    I hate mail order tunes. Remote tuning is one thing, but mail is meh at very best. That being said, Frost isn't a hack. So if it had to be mail order, then he'd be one I'd recommend.

Potential Tuner
    I haven't hooked up to the car in a while, I'll have to see if it is going into PE. What would you recommend for the kpa, I'm still pretty new at tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianmullen78 View Post
    I haven't hooked up to the car in a while, I'll have to see if it is going into PE. What would you recommend for the kpa, I'm still pretty new at tuning.
    55kpa

Advanced Tuner
    For NA, I like 15kpa, 3k RPM and use throttle position for the rest.