Thread: New to hp tuners. having issue with stft's going high and rich wot. logs/tune inside

Tuner in Training

New to hp tuners. having a few issues if you can help. logs/tune inside.

Hello everyone, I just picked up hp tuners pro, because I really need to learn how to tune my own car. my car is a 09 g8 gt. rcr 219/232 .625 .599 109lsa cam. full exhaust/milled heads. ported intake and cai and ls7 maf/4" tube. iv'e had my car professionally tuned. Im just having trouble with a few issues.

timing swinging wildly at idle.

stft's climbing +10's while 02's bottom out when at warm idle. and when coming to a slow roll or stop, my stft's climb +15's and hang for alittle while.

light surging at light throttle

stock tq.convertor unlocking at light throttle/cruising.

Car is running rich at wot. high 10's then settles at 11.3 on my aem uego wb.

If anybody has time to look over my logs and tune to see if anything looks amiss I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Im thinking my maf scaling is out of whack, but I haven't learned how to get them in line yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 06blackgto; 09-25-2015 at 02:53 AM.

Tuner in Training
    If anybody has any input I would really appreciate it. Im taking baby steps since Im new to tuning. it seems like my tuner has alot of timing in my high/low octane tables for a cammed/11.0 compression L76. Here is a log of hot idle and a few revs today. I notice my map kpa reads really high. Im getting some burst knock when hitting the throttle in neutral and going down the road when cruising in a higher gear and pull alittle with a load on it from low rpm's Im getting some pinging/detonation. I can hear it and I can see it hitting 5 degrees of kr and pulling some timing. If anybody can look at my timing tables and let me know if they seem alittle high, or if you can recommend any changes that could help with my issues I would appreciate it. thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by 06blackgto; 09-28-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Have you got a copy of your stock tune so I can compare.

Cheers

TJ PERFORMANCE
    2014 HSV GEN F R8 SV Enhanced (LS3 340KW)
    6 Spd Manual
    Tuned @ 281RWKW/629Nm with OTR and 100cell CATS only.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry I don't have a copy of my stock tune. Just the tune that my tuner did to it.

Did Crawford tune it for you?

Tuner in Training
    No. It was a local tuner here in the midwest.
    Last edited by 06blackgto; 09-28-2015 at 05:31 PM.

What are the details on the fuel system? What injectors? Fuel pressure regulator? The fuel injector flow rates are setup as if you have a vacuum references fuel pressure regulator. Do you?

I don't see any reason to scale that tune. The MAF table isn't even in the ballpark of being maxed out. You could increase it 400% from where it peaks now.

The idle timing in that log.. geez. I wish I knew what was going on, but that looks horrible and has to feel equally as bad

Long term fuel trims are disabled.. not sure why? PE is set to a max of 0.87 lambda.. which seems a little lean to me. I'll try to compare to the log in a minute.

edit: Alright.. total guess, but here is what I would try. Go to engine-->spark-->advance. In the "idle adaptive spark control" section, cut all 6 of those tables (3 underspend and 3 overspeed tables) in half and give that a try. It seems like it's overcorrecting to me. I hope this will slow it down.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 09-28-2015 at 07:55 PM.
    Post a log and tune if you want help

VCM Suite V3+ GETTING STARTED THREADS / HOW TO's

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger
    AlkyControl Meth, Monster LT1-S Twin, NT05R's
    ID1000's, 220/240, .598/.598, 118 from Cam Motion

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. I appreciate the help. Stock 42lb. Injectors. Stock returnless fuel system setup.
    Yeah its driving not too good. Pinging under load at lower rpms. And running really rich at wot. I will give that a shot and report back tomorrow. I'm not sure on the fuel pressure regulator. Whatever a 09 g8 gt stock fuel system setup is. Yeah. The timing table seems really high to other cammed setups I have been seeing. It sucks having to baby it with the pinging going on. Yep I'll try that. Because the timing jumping from 6 to 30 at idle is crazy.
    Last edited by 06blackgto; 09-28-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Gotcha--yeah, after finding a stock G8 tune, the fuel pressure flow rate table in yours is stock.. so I guess that's normal. Just different than I'm used to seeing I guess.

I'm really confused why your MAF table is so different from a stock one. It's like double.. Are you using the stock MAF sensor and housing or something different? Sorry if I missed it if you already answered that.

I also noticed the IAT table is different than every other G8 GT stock tune I've been able to find. Are you using the stock IAT sensor or something different?

Yeah I'd pull timing down on the high & low octane timing tables in the areas you're having the surging issues and also reduce those other tables I mentioned.

If you just want to see if it will help.. try something large, like 8-10* out of the entire high/low octane timing tables and just see if it helps with the surging issues at all

If it were my car I'd probably switch it over to SD mode and forget using the MAF.
    Last edited by schpenxel; 09-28-2015 at 08:21 PM.

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    I'll make the changes now. I brought my laptop to work with me. I might have forgot to meantion. I put on a ls7 maf in a 4" tube. He had to rescale the iat to a ls3 camaro setup.so it would read the right iat temp.
    Last edited by 06blackgto; 09-28-2015 at 08:37 PM.

That makes a lot more sense on the MAF/IAT changes now

Tuner by night
    CPX Tuning
    2005 Corvette, M6
    ECS 1500 Supercharger

2007 Escalade, A6
    Stock

Tuner in Training
    Ok. Made the changes. Much better. I even pulled 5 degrees out of the high/low octane tables in the sections that was giving me trouble. No more pinging. Stft's are better. I'm still getting +8 to + 10 in certain rpms/ gears. Is there a way to get them dialed in alittle better to make it 0 to -3 across the whole range?
    Last edited by 06blackgto; 09-29-2015 at 09:36 AM.