Thread: Heads/Cam 5.3 Knock Retard

Potential Tuner

Heads/Cam 5.3 Knock Retard

N/A Setup
    CNCed and Milled heads(compression is around 9.9/1)
    High Lift Baby Cam on a 110LSA
    Stock 5.3 LM7 Bottom End
    TBSS Stock Injectors(in the Stock Return Style 5.3 truck intake)
    Longtube headers
    160 thermostat
    Yank Truck Thruster 2600 Stall on 4l60E
    PCM is from a 2000 GMC Sierra

I got a base tune and I have made some minor changes of my own in various areas. I cannot seem to figure out how to kill the KR I am getting from 3400RPM on up.

None of these changes have made any difference in the amounts of KR.

I have enriched PE just before, during, and after these higher KR areas
    I have pulled a few degrees of timing in these areas as well.
    I have done both at the same time.
    I am down to 12 degrees of advance at times during WOT.
    I always only run 93.
    I have tried adding octane Booster on a low tank.
    I have checked and rechecked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner etc.

It is not some background setting like Torque Management, Traction Control, or Burst Knock from what I can tell.

This was my first build/tune/ etc. I rarely if ever post, but I am finally able to say I think/hope I exhausted the most common simple solutions so that I don't annoy anyone.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Garett
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    Anyone?

set your timing to 1, command 12.5:1(and make sure you are getting it) and run some race gas (unleaded) and see if it still shows up. it's probably false knock, you need to disable burst knock for sure (i haven't looked at your tune) and possibly add 10% or so to your knock sensors in the problem area.

do you hear any pinging?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    set your timing to 1, command 12.5:1(and make sure you are getting it) and run some race gas (unleaded) and see if it still shows up. it's probably false knock, you need to disable burst knock for sure (i haven't looked at your tune) and possibly add 10% or so to your knock sensors in the problem area.

do you hear any pinging?

I can't make out anything out of the ordinary over the sound of the exhaust(it's pretty loud). I had trouble finding unleaded race gas around me so I ran the tank low and added a good amount of Octane booster with zero change. My wideband confirms my AFR is within a few percent after entering PE. I have set burst knock pretty high in the problem area, but I have not changed the knock sensor settings themselves yet.

I will try dropping the timing down, but I am already on the low end of decent timing advance(running 93 only) on a Heads/Cam 5.3 right?

Thanks Again Man

if you keep removing timing with no change it is false knock.

put your timing back and reduce the sensitivity of the knock sensors little by little (5% or less at a time) until it gets minimal to none.

Tuner
    why unleaded race fuel I am fighting with false knock ( I think ) and I am running vp110 leaded should I try unleaded?
    95 z28 with 6.0, 243's milled .030 to about 11:1, ls6 intake and tb, brian tooley stage 3 231/242 617/593 112 lsa , fast/ areomotive fuel system, 1 7/8 tsp longtubes, no cats, turbo 400, 36 lbs GTP injectors

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jason k View Post
    why unleaded race fuel I am fighting with false knock ( I think ) and I am running vp110 leaded should I try unleaded?
    Leaded fuel ruins O2 sensors from what I understand. My Wideband specifically said do not use it. I think it shortens their lifespan.

Tuner
    Yes it absolutely does My wideband says it will foul them in about 10 hours. But I was under the impression that the leaded fuel also helps with detonation Although I don't know for sure