Thread: HPT & SCT x4

Potential Tuner

HPT & SCT x4

Hi,

I've been using SCT X4 to tune my 2006 Mustang GT for about nine months now. Relying on custom tunes I just purchased HPT so I can handle things myself. I'm excited, woohoo!

I've been studying here and have resources from Eric Brooks, Greg Banish and purchased the La Sota book.

I reloaded the stock Ford tune from my SCT device to the PCM. Read this out in HPT, copied it and worked on a tune in HPT. After a few versions, the car was running and idling well. I have not installed my wide band yet, Innovate LC-2, and I wanted to race this weekend, so I went back to upload my custom tune from the SCT device. Unfortunately it gave me a general error #11023, device already married to different device. I've been working with SCT to resolve this, still no resolution yet.

My question is that it seems like a natural progression to go from the SCT hand held to HPT. So, surely I should be able to go back and forth between the two. I've been told that the SCT is a stackable device and HPT customer service has indicated that HPT does not "marry".

So, my main question is how can I safely go between SCT and HPT and two, what is a stackable device?

Thank you, I appreciate your patience and input on this and the many forth coming questions that are rattling around in my brain.
    Last edited by mauitom; 09-19-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Tuner
    Did you use HPTuners to read and save the stock tune on the car before reading the SCT tune? Sounds like you tried to use the SCT to write over the custom HPtuners file, which I have never seen work..
    Current toy- 97 SCSB OBS chevy forged 6.0/4l80 combo with a bit of boost..currently back under the knife

To many previous vehicles to list

Banned
    Why would you want to do this? Pick one and stick with it. Return the car back to stock with the MPVI, then you can use the X4. The HPT MPVI does associate the VIN to credit allotments.

-Matt

Tuner
    I was planning on reading both the current SCT tune, flashing to stock with my X3 and reading that before getting started. I really don't want to start from scratch with my Maggie setup.
    2013 Mustang GT

Potential Tuner
    @toyoguru - yes.

@matt - this is what I did. It's a solid reason to revert back to a proven tune with the SCT until I have sorted out a tune in HPT. I race the car and drive it to work.

Thank you.

Advanced Tuner
    It's sounds like you did it correctly. As long as you don't try to load a HPT tune on top of a SCT tune, you should be OK. You must put SCT back to stock before loading a HPT tune or it will be "married" to that PCM permanently.
    The SCT always pulls whatever tune is in the PCM(stock or HPT) and saves it as "stock". That's why it will be permanently locked if you load an HPT tune over an SCT tune. When you go to use the SCT again, the "stock" file won't match.
    Per my experience with SCT, I'm going to guess that the X4 is the issue.
    I created a tune with SCT and used the value files for the injector data and then copied that tune with HPT to make sure I had the correct data for the injectors.
    Unless your SCT tune is locked by the tuner, there really isn't a reason to go back and forth now. If the tune is locked, then you don't have a choice.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 09-21-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Potential Tuner
    @txcharlie
    Ok, thanks, makes sense.

Unless HPT can "save as" in an SCT format, I am unable to modify and upload the HPT modified tune back to my SCT device. The SCT tunes I have been examining in HPT are unlocked.

Advanced Tuner
    You won't need to save as an SCT format. Did you pull a copy of your custom SCT tune? If so, you can load it into the PCM. You use the HPT interface to reload the tune and would not need the X4.
    For example, if you had a 93 SCT tune on your car, you could connect HPT and read a copy of the tune(if unlocked). That tune is now in HPT format. Just like you did with your stock tune. It can be modified and put back in the car or you can put the custom 93 tune, unchanged, back in.

Potential Tuner
    Cool, thanks, I appreciate the reply. Being dense I guess.

I thought I read or was told that HPT and SCT had different strategy's not allowing HPT to do this.

I also thought some of the tables, like MAF vs Voltage were different between the two.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mauitom View Post
    Cool, thanks, I appreciate the reply. Being dense I guess.

I thought I read or was told that HPT and SCT had different strategy's not allowing HPT to do this.

I also thought some of the tables, like MAF vs Voltage were different between the two.
    Some things are different. The tables are the same, the names are changed. For example, SCT calls the tables used for TBs, Open Loop FF TA Prediction and Effective Throttle Area. HPT calls the same tables, Predicted Throttle Angle and Effective Area.
    Also, SCT uses descending values for Y axis and HPT uses ascending.

Potential Tuner
    So now I can't load any of the tunes in to my VCM. Car is dead. I am really getting my butt kicked. Contacted tech support.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mauitom; 09-23-2015 at 12:10 AM.

Banned
    We use the factory strategy that comes with the car, in most all cases so does SCT (you have to specify)

Its probably not writing because SCT may have it in a junked up state. Their devices do that often. Try to return the car to stock with SCT before using our software. Also, change to the latest 2.25 beta.

-Matt

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Here is the information on the code 72 error, straight from our head engineer:

The 72 error is caused by:

1. a packet sequence error, a timeout or invalid block message, caused by a comms issue.
    - this would most likely be seen as a random failure during the write, not at the same location every time

2. a write failure, the data block was rx'd correctly by the ECM but it failed trying to write the data to the flash.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"