Thread: E38 Transient - 2010 Camaro LS3 Whipple - Have you tried TPS based PE?

E38 Transient - 2010 Camaro LS3 Whipple - Have you tried TPS based PE?

Going on 4yrs now, and most significant gains in transient fuel increase I've seen is using TPS rather than MAP for entering PE fuel. Realizing #1 reason being TPS is it is the first sensor to realize WOT/PE, maybe also why the ZL1 stock uses it... as PE trigger via MAP reads 2nd (slower than MAP).. which is also probably behind actual intake port pressure change... why use MAP is primary PE Enrich? Also probably explains why the 2012-2014 Woodward Copo Whippled Camaro had 2 old (large) style MAP sensors hanging off the side of the Whipple... I was thinking... hmmm. if the stock 2008+ compact sensor isnt good enough.. then why are 2 1995ish large body sensors good enough? Any maybe they still arent? ZL1 warranty is honored by TPS PE alone.

All of the E38 Transient threads... how many of us are using TPS (basically Stock ZL1) PE trigger? I personally have been MAP based PE, because this is what Whipple suggested, and with my garbage fuel system (also supplied by Whipple) and countless MAP based PE mods, PE is always a bit late.. and still a bit lean in the upper RPM's probably because all of the Transient tables max at 100kpa.. but still I just cant get a simple upward bump in Injector Pulse during 4000+RPM WOT (between shift). Below ~3000 no problem... I get the bump in injector pulse at WOT tip in... but the "bump" at tip in seems to fade away above 3000rpms..

Did I mention the Stock 2010 Camaro LS3 Whipple kit IAT calibration gives you artifically low IAT temps? Yep! Check it yourself. My stock Whipple supplied IAT temp was ~60F while the Coolant temp showed ~75F after 10+ hrs sitting idle in a garage. Asked them direct about this... they dont respond. Yet they claim 15-30F reduced temps. lol

Today I went with the ZL1 settings, and instead of the Whipple typle PE (MAP based) dropping to PE target in the middle or end of TPS WOT and MAP WOT, it goes rich right at the beginning of TPS transition. While I may not get the "bump" in Injector pulse at Tip in.. it comes in way sooner... effectively giving me more fuel.. So another "why does Whipple do it this way" questions?

Turbo guys.. this is prob not that much of an issue as you don't see the boost spikes that whipples see. You automatically have what I tried to create by restricting my throttle opening rate...
    Last edited by 10_SS; 09-19-2015 at 02:26 AM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

The stock ZL1 tune I pulled out of the tune repository has an enrichment rate of 0.02. Isn't that a similar strategy as slowing the throttle opening rate? I have been under the impression that computers have gotten faster and we are trying to slow them down so the mechanics of the rest of the systems have a fighting chance to keep pace.

The TPS earliest trigger concept makes sense. Did you use all the ZL1 PE settings as is? (i.e. 5000 rpm delay, enrichment rate)? Did you change your throttle opening rate to 100 across or stay with the 3 across?
    2010 Avalanche 4WD; AES 390; Mast LS3 heads; VVT Cam; ported TVS2300; Overdrive 8 rib pulleys; 2.7 snout pulley; ID1000; LS3 TB; WB 450; Twin MM cans; built 6L80; CircleD Triple Disk, CSR flexplate; Trucool 40K; Aeroforce Dual; AFX

I stayed at the 3 opening rate all these years... now I have mostly stock ZL1 enrichment to see how it works.. . seems to work much better than using the MAP based PE... while I still don't have a bump in the Injector pulse like I want at higher RPM, it enters sooner so that helps. I have the bump at the lower RPM... so kinda annoying.

The Delay to enter PE is only for the fuel, in an attempt to save fuel and not go rich right away.. so above 5000rpm stock they basically say enter fuel right away and skip the delay. Gas Trucks tend to use long delay's to conserve fuel... like the GM 8.1L in my RV it doesn't enter PE sooner than 15 or more seconds.. I lost track trying to count how long but it seems to have allot to do with IVT or generate combustion chamber temp... once it starts to increase from high load then they bring in the richer fuel mix to cool it a bit. With big NA engines they tend to run cleaner this way and it doesn't knock even at WOT with 02's swinging rich lean... eventually it will go into PE though.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires