Thread: 4l60 Hitting Limiter on 2-3 Shift Only After Downshift

Tuner in Training

4l60 Hitting Limiter on 2-3 Shift Only After Downshift

Anyone ever had this issue? I have a feeling the trans is going away, but maybe someone can help.

When you start from 2nd gear and run it up to the shift point it makes the shift. When you just go 100% throttle from 3rd or 4th gear and it downshifts to 2nd it will hit the rev limiter just about every time.
    Shift point is set at 6200 rpm. Rev limiter is at 6400.

I thought i had it figured out when I raised shift pressure and decreased shift time because the whole time I was driving it the truck never hit the limiter on a downshift. Now that I gave it back he says it hits the limiter every time he doesn't select the lower gear prior to going wide open throttle.

It will do this in 1st gear as well, but 2nd gear was easier to get a log with since things aren't happening as quickly...

The log is attatched. Shows it happening at 9:30.

S10 no shift on downshift.hpl
    S10 6L.hpt

Tuner in Training
    To add to this: I've tried lowering the shift point to 5800 rpm. It will act the same - makes the shift if you start in 2nd, but not if you let it downshift itself. I thought for sure I had it fixed when I increased line pressure and decreased shift time, but I guess not.

Tuner
    first what is the mph set at for the shift? I would look to see what mph you would want it to shift and set it like 2 mph before ie 62 mph is when its at 6200 so set it at like 59 and try it also with these transmissions the shift adapt is a major pain in the ass I don't know if id up like pressure too much computer just compensates for it anyways ecm will readjust the force table. shift times should atleast be .300 for wot. This is the way I see it if you lower your shift times ecm will adjust pressure to help you get that shift but wouldn't it be the same as too much pressure = ecm maybe not but id set your limiter at 6k see where it shifts set that number as your full throttle shift speed and make sure its the same on the part throttle shift for 100% throttle position. I would try this remember if both the shift speeds and full throttle revs don't match wont work right same with shift times what are they set at for 300 lbs+?

Tuner in Training
    MPH is 5 mph lower on the shift. I uploaded the tune for someone to look at if they wanted before giving advice... Everything that you said has already been done.

It makes the shift fine when starting in the gear. Only hits the limiter in a downshift situation.

Shift times are all .250 or lower crusing and all. Under WOT they should be .100 based on the "delivered engine tq" at the time the shift should occur.

Tuner in Training
    Here's another log. I lowered the shift point to 5600 rpm and 75mph, decreased shift times to 0.000, and turned up the pressure a bit more.

Going from a roll STARTING in 2nd gear the shift is commanded at the correct time, but the truck doesn't shift until 5763/78... at least it misses the limiter

Now in the same log we tried it on a downshift from 4th to 2nd and it runs up to banging off the 6400 rpm rev limiter/89mph before commanding the shift. Same tune, same log. What am I doing wrong?

The downshift happens at frame 150. Starting in second gear happens at frame 270.

s10 5600 rpm shift point.hpl

Most recent tune too.
    S10 920 2.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Bump. Any thoughts?

Tuner in Training
    TTT again

Tuner in Training
    I'm having this same problem with an 99 TA. Does it on all shift under WOT. I am thinking it is the trans I even put to management back on a 40% reduction on shifts and it won't hold. Back the shifts down to 5000rpm and it would attempt to shift at 5k but would still bounce limiter at 6800rpm for 1-2 and 2-3 shift. When logging gear put it jumps back and forth between gears. I think tyranny is bad

Tuner in Training
    Sounds like a transmission pump problem. Any inconsistent shift firmness under normal driving conditions? Such as a bang then a slide shift related to trans temp. I cannot open your log but check and see if its commanding the shift.

Potential Tuner
    Hey man, I have a car that is doing the same thing. Did you ever figure this one out? I don't even know if it's the tune or something mechanically wrong with the transmission at the moment.