Thread: trying to set base air flow, using Russ K config

Tuner in Training

trying to set base air flow, using Russ K config

I'm trying to the base air flow dialed in on this car. 02 T/A, automatic, L/T, cat back, GM hot cam. VE and MAF have been tuned.

Using the Russ K idle config. P/N has been done twice and STIT are good. Trying to do in gear with no luck so far.

I've turned the adaptives off, long terms off, idle in park is 950, idle in gear 800. IAC hot counts are 35-40. HI/LO octane tables are the same. Idle spark advance are the same and are the same as Hi/LO octane tables below 1200 and have been smoothed.

The problem I am having is as soon as I put it into gear the RPMS shoot up and start pushing through the brakes. Watching the histogram it's wanting twice as much air flow as it does in park. I cant see getting a good base air flow with it pushing through the brakes.

I have several articles from Russ and several really good threads from the HPT forum but I haven't been able to find the answer to my problem.

I have read a bunch about "cruise control" and the things related to it but I havent seen mentioned as soon as you put it into gear the RPM's shoot up.

When the RPM's do shoot up the IAC counts shoot to about 150. There has to be an adder or multiplier that I'm not aware of. I attached the tune file as I have it set up right now. It did not occur to me to save the histogram/log file from earlier today.

Thanks for any help. I've tried my best to figure this out before making a post asking for help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I tried several things last night. I took some timing out at/around idle thinking that was the problem. Didn't make any difference. I messed with the cracker some even though everything I've read it only effects things after you are moving. Didn't make any difference.

I started reading about IAC steps and effective air flow so I logged my dynamic airflow vs. desired airflow and they were no where close. I moved my IAC step table over five spots and my dynamic/desired is really close to each other. I know some people says this matters and others don't. I don't know enough to say either way. However it does make sense that the desired and actual are close. Regardless this didn't make any difference as of last night when the engine was hot.

I did a cold start this morning and relogged my base air flow from cells 90 degrees to 241. My numbers are higher which makes sense because my actual dynamic airflow was twice of what my desired was. Car starts up and idles great. I updated my RAF with the new numbers from the Russ K config. Took my best guess as to the colder temps and copied the PN row to the In gear. I haven't tried to put it in gear but my guess is it's not going to make a difference.

I attached my new tune file and the log. I logged IAT temps this time and they got a lot hotter than I would have expected. However this is a F body w/ the IAT sensor in the lid. I'm sure the temps would drop if I drove it considering how cool it is this morning.
    Attached Files Attached Files