Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Logging Wideband with no EIO interface using EGR :O)

Logging Wideband with no EIO interface using EGR :O)

Well got some good news. Got my wideband wired up to the laptop and viewed in HP Tuners with no EIO Using a wire which used to go the the EGR valve.

Parts used:-
    AEM Wideband guage was this wire with bosch sensor (http://www.thunderracing.com/catalo...p&vid=3&pcid=62)
    Length of wire
    2 x crimps

Time to install about 15mins.

The output from thre AEM guage is 0-5V. This is the white wire.
    The EGR valve had been removed some time back. The connector has been cut off to tidy up the wiring loom. The wire you want is the brown wire, this reports back 0-5V to the PCM. I tested it was this wire by using a resistor to 5V and verified this on this using HP Tuners.

The wire from the AEM guage was extented to reach the EGR Brown wire using a bit of wire and two crimps. Now the output from the AEM guage will be routed to the PCM, if you monitor the EGR reading in the PCM you will see it changed with AFR.

Now you need to create a custom PID.
    In HP Tuners
    For the AEM guage the formula would be
    =(EGR_Volts/0.5)+10
    Other guages may need a different formula, this should be documented in your wide band guage leaflet of what voltage euqals what AFR.

Turned on ignition and the AEM guage read 14.7:1, but HP Tuners read 15.1:1, now this isn't a problem, we can just adjust the formula. Probably just down to reference voltages and volt drops down wires.

As the EGR valve was removed some months back all EGR references in the PCM have been disabled. Once you have done this Wideband/EGR mod you will need to go to Engine/General/EGR Enabled = Enabled, if this is disabled then the EGR voltage wont be read into the PCM, this needs to be enabled.
    Check that Spark Control/Spark Advance/EGR Spark Advance is all zeroed out.

Quick Q as to voltage offsets:

Does AEM suggest connecting a signal ground as well?
    If so you may want to put that out there to prevent offsets. That way signal ground in the PCM is connected to AEM's signal ground.

EC
    Always Support Our Troops!

Advanced Tuner
    please explain more how you set up the config this dont make no sense
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

i know some guys using the ac wire for various inputs. thats pretty cool
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    I'm interested in how you set up the custom PID. I can not get it to match my wideband....

Can someone explain in detail how you set up the custom PID.

Tuner
    Any more word on this ??....it seems like a great way to "cheat" when installing a WB temporarily to tune a vehicle
    '99 ECSB Silverado 2500LD
    6.0 LQ4|Polished "241" Heads|10.3 CR|VHP "044" cam|HPTuners SD Tune|Pacesetter Headers|Magnaflow Exhaust|Custom CAI|

Tuner in Training

LM-1 wideband without EIO

I did the same thing. Came up with my own pid formula to input the volt out signal from my LM-1 to my rear o2 sensor on my truck. (cat sensor) Works great. I am within less than .1 afr between the LM-1 reading and hp reading!!! I have a 99 gmc sierra 5.3 liter. If you own a truck and an LM-1 I can give you the info and parts list for a CLEAN FAST way to hook up to any truck and log wideband on your hp program.
    Last edited by steve; 07-27-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    I did the same thing. Came up with my own pid formula to input the volt out signal from my LM-1 to my rear o2 sensor on my truck. (cat sensor) Works great. I am within less than .1 afr between the LM-1 reading and hp reading!!!
    I to use the rear O2 sens, I have had much better luck without voltage offset problems even though it is only 0-1 volt vers. 0-5 volts.
    2000 Impala 3.8
    4T65Ehd 3.29
    VCM ID:7DS739259ui
    VCM OS ID:9387047

Could someone please explain how to hook up the wideband to my rear O2 sensor. thanks

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by steve
    I did the same thing. Came up with my own pid formula to input the volt out signal from my LM-1 to my rear o2 sensor on my truck. (cat sensor) Works great. I am within less than .1 afr between the LM-1 reading and hp reading!!! I have a 99 gmc sierra 5.3 liter. If you own a truck and an LM-1 I can give you the info and parts list for a CLEAN FAST way to hook up to any truck and log wideband on your hp program.
    Damn it! I was going to do the same thing, but everyone though I was an idiot!

Looks like I have a project for tonight!! Thanks a lot of posting this!!

Does anyone know what color wire it is on my rear O2 sensor that is the 0-1V input? my car is a 2006 cobalt SS/sc

Tuner
    If I was to use my post-cat O2 sensor connector with my WB sensor (Bosch, LM1), would I still need to use the LM1 controller or would the factory harness provide the heater element signal, and everything else that the sensor needs to stay alive, and be able to interpret the signal recieved from the WB with a custom PID (or will that only read narrow band readings)?

I no longer have a cat, so that won't affect the readings or throw any CEL's I havn't already dealt with, and I've got a bung on the header anyways.

well i got mine to work......kinda.....I got all the PID stuff done just found some problems with the readings.

I took the 0-5 volt output from my AEM wideband and hooked it to the signal wire from my post cat o2 sensor. so the computer now receives a signal from my AEM wideband not my stock rear o2 sensor. But the problems are....

1. the rear signal wire will only read to 1100Mv is there any way to change this so that it will read to 5V?? I can set my wideband to output a 0-1V range that will solve the problem but it wont be as accurate as the 0-5V. The other option is to keep it on the 0-5v output but i will only be able to log data from a AF ratio of 10 to 12. anything higher that 12 and the sensor maxes out at 1100Mv does this make sense???

2. the AF ratio in HP tuners is about .7 to 1 higher than what is displayed on my AF gauge. is there a reason for this? The AEM book says that at a AF ratio of 10 the sensor should output 000Mv but it is outputting about 160Mv so should i just set up my PID so that it minuses 160Mv??

The rear O2 sensor is a 0-1V signal. Even though you have a wideband hooked up that puts out a 5V range by default the PCM will only understand 0-1V readings from it.

You need to set the AEM to output a 1V signal linearly. You won't lose much detail by squeezing the signal into a 1V range. Do this by changing the dial on the back of the gauge per these instructions:

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/inde...6214.0;id=3170

The thing is, you don't want to set the gauge to P4 (Narrow Band/Nernst Emulation), you want it to be linear, so you'd need to use the P2 setting (Small Volt Range) but this signal starts at 1V and goes to 2V so that will probably not work either. The LC-1/LM-1 guys can program the controller pretty granularly so they can set the output to whatever voltage range they want and have this range be whatever AFR range they want. The AEM is not as robust.

I'm afraid the AEM will not work when conneting it to a 1V sensor. You'll have to wire it into a 5V sensor like the EGR or AC pressure.

HTH
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Just thought of another option: Set the AEM to P3 (Autronic Emulation). From the table in the manual this appears to be a 0.0-0.4V range. Then use the formula below to create your custom PID.

The basic formula for WB sensors is as follows:
    volts / (voltage range/Device range) + (Minimum value of device range)=AFR

This breaks down as follows:
    Volts= Incoming voltage reading, typically between 0-5 VDC.
    Voltage Range= Range of sensor, typically 5
    Device Range= Range of AFR that your instrument is set to read. For example if you setup your LC-1 to read 10-20 AFR, then the range would be 10.
    Min. device range= Lowest AFR reading of device. In the example above it is 10.

So given that, your PID would look like this:

<Rear O2 PID>/(.4/10)+10=AFR
    Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 10-05-2006 at 08:28 AM.
    Bill Winters

i guess i had the right idea just used the wrong sensor.....so where would i find the 0-5V wire for the AC?? What is it connected to?

Advanced Tuner
    i know a guy that did this with the EGR and it work perfect
    http://www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 Stalled V6 Camaro
    Goal: 10.99 in the 1/4
    Goal: 100 MPH (completed)

Best Dyno: 456 RWHP and 509 RWTQ
    Best: 1/4 mile 11.23 20 PSI
    Best1/8: 7.18 @ 99 1.83, 60 foot 20 PSI

i am pretty sure i dont have a egr on my car its a 2006 cobalt SS/SC

Hey 5 liter eater

couldnt i use the P2 setting on the AEM and put a resistor in the signal wire that drops voltage by 1V then the range would be from 0 to 1 V would this work????

Adding a resistor will not have an effect on the voltage range. I'm not sure whether or not the Cobalt has an AC pressure sensor or what wire it would be. If it had one it would be along the AC lines. If you use this you will need to put a toggle switch in so that the PCM gets the signal from the AC pressure sensor when you are not logging. The gauge will work all the time regardless of the switch position.

Why not try using the Autronic emulation since you've got it connected to the rear O2 already?
    Bill Winters