Thread: dailing in a cam causing cam crank sensor problem

Advanced Tuner

dailing in a cam causing cam crank sensor problem

Hi just put a cam in my l98 and dialled it in it had to be set up on 110 deg ICL, so I thought what if I wanted to advance or retard it on the crank sprocket it has 2 deg increments. So I advanced it by 2 deg just to have a look and doing so moved the cam about 2 teeth I then sat back and had a look and thought to my self how in the hell is my computer going to like the crank to cam sinc now. I can understand there my be manufacturing defects like the dowel being put in the wrong spot on the cam or the grind being out but shouldn't that be corrected by moving the cam to cam gear position. I guess what I'm saying has any one had problems with cam to crank sensor sinc when not going dot to dot.

Tuning Addict
    You'll have problems. Best thing to use is one of Comp's adjustable cam sprockets for degreeing on the LS's. It's all we use and never had a problem. Just make sure you get the right one for your motor. Otherwise you'll most likely be fighting fuel injection timing and dtc problems.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    That's what I thought being a mechanic for the last 15 years I would never put cam to crank sensor timing that far out, adjusting it at the cam like all the rice burners do would be my choice. What I don't understand that there are so many people on the internet saying you must dial in your cam using this method but no one has mentioned this problem.

Tuner
    My tbss had a cam correlation code P0016... Tore it apart this weekend and found the cam was a tooth off. so yes, to answer your question, one tooth will throw the code.

Tuning Addict
    They probably kill the codes associated then turn around and fight injection timing... I only recommend dialing in a cam with the adjustable 3 bolt "cammed" sprockets from Comp or other companies combined with ARP cam bolts. You'll reuse your original crank sprocket, but then install the new cam sprocket setup and better metal timing chain with upgraded thrust bearing setup. I try my best to sell one of these with every cam install I do Makes degreeing easy as it only moves the cam itself. Only allows for 6 degrees of movement, but if you need more than 2 then I would recommend another cam grinding company
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    They probably kill the codes associated then turn around and fight injection timing... I only recommend dialing in a cam with the adjustable 3 bolt "cammed" sprockets from Comp or other companies combined with ARP cam bolts. You'll reuse your original crank sprocket, but then install the new cam sprocket setup and better metal timing chain with upgraded thrust bearing setup. I try my best to sell one of these with every cam install I do Makes degreeing easy as it only moves the cam itself. Only allows for 6 degrees of movement, but if you need more than 2 then I would recommend another cam grinding company

My thoughts exactly...

Advanced Tuner
    Been using the Cloyes set for years. Paired with Katech's chain, you have a robust set for LS engines. Wish a two piece cover was available for a C6.