Thread: Help car won't start after flash

Potential Tuner

Help car won't start after flash

1998 Z28 A4 ts 228/228 cam swap

after making some adjustments to my hpt file I went to flash it and inadvertently clicked on the flash calibration only icon. It didn't hit me at first that I did this (I am rather new at this) so it popped up that I didn't have the license to do this. so after banging my head and wondering what to do I just conceded and use 2 more credits and then it filially allowed me to flash it. well low in behold car wouldn't start so I did a write entire and still nothing. probably did something really wrong.

I read and read on the forum and my situation seems to be a bit different to all the others with the same problem.
    the fuel pump seems to pressurize and no security lights that stay on. nothing like the others that I read about. no errors. the only thing when I checked the DTC was
    P0601 Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM).
    I cleared it and still no start.
    I disconnected the batt for a good while and put the batt on a charger to make sure I had enough juice.
    still nothing. I don't know what to do now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like you possibly wrote a calibration to your PCM that was not based off of a .hpt file read from your PCM. Have you downloaded any files from the repository that maybe you were working with? This is the VIN # from the file you attached. 2G1FP32G0W2136257 Is that the VIN # of your car?

Potential Tuner
    yes that my VIN # for this car.
    I have since tried to disable the VATS in the tune and that didn't work either. I am not getting any errors writing the file. I have noticed that the fuel pump doesn't prime, but idk if that's because it have tried to start it so many times.
    I have check all the fuses, they are all ok.
    Idk were to go from here. I have made small changes from time to time over the years but never have had this problem.

Tuner in Training
    i didnt see anything that stands out to me other than you have a lot of ses/check engine items to no error which may be the reason you have no codes showing but that doesnt mean that there is not an error there. try setting most of the sensors you have back to stock and see which ones pop up with codes to see if there is a possible lead to the issue. hitting the calibration only button is not the issue as this is what you need to be doing when flashing in your changes. write entire does not need to be used often unless making certain changes

Senior Tuner
    Flashing a file to a 98 PCM that wasn't based on a file read from that PCM with a write calibration will cause the issue he is having. The fact that it said he didn't have a license to do that and that he used 2 more credits is the biggest clue that somehow that is what happened. People get files they have open mixed up all the time. Can happen if you've downloaded files from the repository to look at. Especially new users. There was an older 2.24 version that had a bug in it that was bricking some 98 PCMs until it was corrected but that bug wouldn't ask you to relicense a PCM that was already licensed. The P0601on a 98 is usually fatal.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 09-14-2015 at 11:25 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    this is pretty straight forward.

You upgraded to the 2 bar custom operating system
    Then you did write calibration only
    which fried your pcm

/thread.

You will need a new pcm. And next time please follow the instructions laid out in the help file www.hptuners.com/help so you don't fry any more pcm's.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Senior Tuner
    I didn't notice the OS upgrade when I looked at the tune.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah on 98's with a "fried pcm" thats the first thing that I look for, second is if they used someone elses file in the pcm, those the two most common reasons for fried pcm's on those.

Senior Tuner
    Since it asked for 2 more credits and COS upgrades are free now he must be using a pretty old software Ver too.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Since it asked for 2 more credits and COS upgrades are free now he must be using a pretty old software Ver too.
    Yup.

Potential Tuner
    I have been using the version 2.24.63 for a good while with no problems. I am not sure what happened because I modified the file that was already flashed previously. I did have a bunch of files in the same folder with my original file and maybe I could have chosen the wrong one somehow.

thank you all for your input. I will get a new pcm and study up more before I change anything in the future.

It's a long shot,But try a write entire with the stock file. I have seen a few recover from this.