Thread: If you want to learn how to tune , READ THIS

Tuner in Training

If you want to learn how to tune , READ THIS

I have spent well 2 year or more playing around with HP tuners trying to figure out what the hell I am doing, For me the car tuning can't have a lot of time allocated to it as I am in the military with a wife and two children and a full time college student at 36yrs old, So normally I will stay up at night reading and trying to tune instead of sleeping and almost 100% of my logs are running to the store or going to work. time management at its finest. I Have paid for shops to tune cars and have paid for remote tunes and never have I been truly satisfied with it to say the least. but every time I get on HPT and search or ask questions one name comes up Ed Mowton, Until about 2 months ago I didn't even know that Ed owned ERM Performance Tuning or what he did, just seemed like a super helpful guy willing to help the community, and he is, and a lot of guys on here will try to help. But Ed takes it to a whole new level. He has answered calls and e-mails with lightning quickness and I really enjoyed shooting the shit with him. Eds business ERM Performance Tuning, teaches people how to tune, He asked me to down load team viewer and I did and then he will take control of your computer and go through hp tuners and actually show you the in and outs of the program. I learned more in about 2 hours working in HP tuners with Ed then I did in over a 2 year period trying to learn it myself. So if you really need to learn what you're doing before you have to fork out money on a new engine, Shoot Ed and e-mail and give him a chance . he charges little for the service you receive and really seems to care about what he does.. I am very pleased that I found out about ERM Performance Tuning and I have never met a man that is more willing to spend his own time helping others then Ed Mowton.

THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO FOR OUR COMMUNITY SIR

Thank you Tom for the kind words. Tuning has been a passion of mine for a long time. Just like Engineering was my passion when I worked full time, the need to problem solve, develop corrective actions and validate continues to be my adrenalin rush. Doing today, what you couldn't do yesterday and making a change has always been my way of life. And tell me I can't do something..........well move over, coming through :-)

I owe alot of what I know today to current and former forum members as well as the crew at The Vette Doctors (Carmen and Dennis) and their desire to help me so its time for payback......

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 09-12-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    I would also like to say how much I have learned just be reading your posts. You're helping more people than you know.

Thank you

Another thumbs up for Ed (MOTOWN)!!! When Ed first answered a question for me a few years ago he had no idea who I was but he helped me and was willing to like we had been friends all along.

Thanks again for all you do. Truly a class act!

Ditto on Motown, great guy, i've chatted with him here and there via PM's and appreciate his friendliness and desire to help anyone.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Can't tell you how good it is to hear how much what I do is appreciated. As I said, I am trying to payback for all the help I got in the early years from this and other sources to get where I am today. I am in no way comparable to most of what I call the senior expert calibrators as I lack the overall experience in the seat, on a day to day basis, but what I lack there, I try to make up for in thinking outside the box.....I feel a bit bad lately as my new business has taken up alot more time than I ever imagined (guess that is a good thing :-) thank you all) and haven't been as involved on this Forum as I was before. I apoligize for that and promise that when things settle down, I'll be back with a vengence :-)

Again, if there is anything I can do to help in tuning teaching or actual tunes, let me know. Forum members will always get special treatment and consideration. Just so you know, we are Authorized dealers for HP Tuners Products such as VCM Suite setups and credits.

Ed M
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Has it been long enough to hijack.
    I am pretty much in the same boat you were in Scites. But I am a Veteran now instead of Active. (you might be a veteran by now) But I have spent a couple years trying to learn and research. I do my logs on my drives to work or trips to the store.
    I have had professional tuners tune my vehicle on the dyno and thru email and then friends that have helped me some. But ultimately I want to tune my own vehicle.
    Finding exactly what I need without paying for classes is proving to be difficult for me.

I need to learn how to get the AFR dialed in and the timing without being on the dyno.
    I initially had a dyno tune but have since installed larger fuel injectors and increased boost about 5psi max.

I have tuning guides but neither get into the step by step procedures for dialing in AFR. And messing with the VE.

If you have good links or information for dialing in the AFR and timing could you please let me know.

Today I learned Pratio is the Map/Baro. But where do you find what your Baro is?

Senior Tuner
    should be a pid for baro

Potential Tuner
    Excellent recommendation. I will be contacting Ed M. as soon as possible. Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by srREXed View Post
    Excellent recommendation. I will be contacting Ed M. as soon as possible. Thanks
    Unfortunately, Ed passed away several years ago. Throttle up industries bought out his business and is selling it under their name now.
    JTC Performance - Authorized HP Tuners Reseller
    Remote performance tuning