Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fuel Cut Torque Ratio

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueprint View Post
    I turned all 3 off, car drives wayyyyyyy better.

The only issue I am having now is a stalling issue. If I go super slow to a stop, it does not die. However if I'm cruising and push in pedal and coast to a stop sign it will stall out.

Any ideas? Anything else I am supposed to adjust.

Does not stall with the switches turned on.
    Idle airflow tables.

Leave Torque Module on.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Leave Torque Module on.
    Why?

Earlier in the thread you said it may be fine if you turned off torque based decel.

I prefer how the car drives with it off, but if it's going to cause an issue I will turn it back on

Why?

Earlier in the thread you said it may be fine if you turned off torque based decel.

I prefer how the car drives with it off, but if it's going to cause an issue I will turn it back on
    If you disable the Torque Module, the ratios discussed in the beginning of the thread actually should do nothing as you no longer use the torque reduction control.
    Ford uses that torque module to essentially manage all torque corrections. By turning it off, you disable all of that functionality, which is used extensively during any controlled torque events. Depending on the year of vehicle this can be huge: Idle, dashpot, shift torque reduction, basically every single one of the torque sources no longer has a way to control torque.
    If the vehicle is newer style with Torque based idle, it can actually be a big help to leave it on as opposed to turning it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugasu View Post
    If you disable the Torque Module, the ratios discussed in the beginning of the thread actually should do nothing as you no longer use the torque reduction control.
    Ford uses that torque module to essentially manage all torque corrections. By turning it off, you disable all of that functionality, which is used extensively during any controlled torque events. Depending on the year of vehicle this can be huge: Idle, dashpot, shift torque reduction, basically every single one of the torque sources no longer has a way to control torque.
    If the vehicle is newer style with Torque based idle, it can actually be a big help to leave it on as opposed to turning it off.
    So in my situation. I do not want any "torque" type reductions being a twin turbo car e85 on built bottom end (coyote). So wouldn't turning it off be ok? Assuming the rest of the "tune" is spot on?

I know of a few local cars who have had this turned off since they bought HPtuners, no issues. One is a twin turbo car on a stock engine, no issues to date.

Tuner in Training
    if i turn the Torque Module off, it will rev rpm by its self on 15+ coyote

So in my situation. I do not want any "torque" type reductions being a twin turbo car e85 on built bottom end (coyote). So wouldn't turning it off be ok? Assuming the rest of the "tune" is spot on?

I know of a few local cars who have had this turned off since they bought HPtuners, no issues. One is a twin turbo car on a stock engine, no issues to date.
    Do you truly want no torque reduction at all times? Or is it just when you're WOT? The system allows you to adjust it by torque source, so you can still keep 6, 9, 16, and 22 normal (DFSO, Target N, Dashpot, Idle Control) so that you still have it functioning for those, and adjust the others away to effectively disable it.

The only time I'd recommend removing it flat out is if you truly never can imagine a moment you want the additional control it can provide. Then again, I'm not one to rush and remove ECU features if I have the ability to tune them, which in this case we do.

The vehicle ECU used determines on how you adjust the ratio in these cases. The newer ones have Fuel Cut and Spark Only. How that works is if the ratio is ABOVE the spark only torque ratio, it will use just spark retard and a reverse calibrated table to reduce torque. Once you fall below the Spark Only or a hidden spark minimum clip (which is based on things like exhaust temp and stuff, hence really hard to calibrate and the stock values work really well even on modified vehicles), then AFR changes or fuel cut can become an option. AFR can happen if you're Torque Ratio is above the Fuel Cut Torque Ratio, Fuel Cut happens below. This can also be blended between both spark and fuel cut.

For a majority of things, you won't ever have fuel cut and only have spark reduction. The Spark Only tables give you a good idea of which modes actually use Fuel Cut. PATS (anti-theft), RPM Guard / Target N (part of decel or FMEM), TipOut Limit/DFSO, and RPM Limit are typically the only ones you see that will use fuel cut.

Knowing this, you should be able to still keep your torque module enabled, but effectively cal-out or lessen the torque sources you feel need it (like Driver Demand, which should be primary during almost all driving)
    Last edited by Bugasu; 08-08-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Turn off the things you don't want, but on a car that uses torque control for nearly everything you will want to leave the Torque Module on, otherwise you end up with a car that will not idle and other issues.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by schaid View Post
    What sort of weirdness? Reason I ask...I have all 3 of those tq switches off and the car runs and drives better than it did stock. Idle is smoth, ft's are nice and consistent. Decel is fantastic. Honestly have no complaints about how the car runs/drives. I have 2 other m6 coyotes that are also tuned in this manner, both run perfectly fine.

I also have the tq based decel disabled.

One of the cars is a 12 boss with cj intake manifold, mono blade throttle body and cj cold air, the other is a 13 gt with boss intake manifold and custom cold air intake, mine is an 11 gt with cobra jet intake manifold, custom cai, mono blade throttle body, id1k injectors walbro 450lph pump and return style fuel system. All 3 cars drive great, idle great, go wot great. No complaints. All 3 run e85
    I've got Torque based decel turned off and playing with Dashpot, I'd love to see what parameters you ended up with for dashpot if I'm not overstepping?
    2019 C7 Stingray M7 - long tube headers, 6.30/6.22 226/238 cam, supporting stuff, DOD and VVT delete.
    Stock everything else

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by txcharlie View Post
    I set Fuel Cut and Spark Torque Ratio Limit to 0s. Set Spark Only Torque Ratio to 1s. Disabled Torque Module Switch and Torque Based Decel.
    I drove about 15 minutes and logged. Seemed to drive normal, except when I went over the log, my LTFT never went active. 0s for the whole log. Anyone seen this.
    Would this work on 2015+? I keep seeing large fuel cuts when the torque source is target n in my logs. Currently have the Fuel Cut Torque Ratio all set to 0s, the Spark only Torque Ratio is stock values, and the Torque module switch is enabled. Curious if I do all three if my fuel trims would look better when I clutch in or throw it in neutral and coast to a stop.

Tuner in Training
    Frrp pcms have all torque management off and use dashpot. Issue is with aftermarket intakes n extractors it tends to stall reguardless the idle airflow. Idle rpms or anything is set too