Thread: Transmission or electrical?

Advanced Tuner

Transmission or electrical?

I started the car this morning and the radio kept going on and off for 10 minutes. It self corrected. When I put her in sport mode the mph and the sport mode symbol on the dash kept interchanging. The transmission then went from 6th to 5th. It is behaving funky and going back and forth between 5th and 6th with the dash lights going back and forth from mph to the sport mode symbol. That is continuing. In drive mode I do not notice it.
    2016 Hellcat Challenger, automatic, black on black with brass monkey wheels

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubb71 View Post

radio started going funky again also. maybe they are two separate problems and I need a new shifter and have electrical problems.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet
    2.75 pulley, tune, drag radials. 10 percent lower od crank pulley, 1050 ix. off road mid pipe. tune

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    radio started going funky again also. maybe they are two separate problems and I need a new shifter and have electrical problems.

sporadic short inside the battery. it will cause havoc on today's electronically controlled cars.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    I read up on a similar problem on the g8 board (erratic shifting in sport mode just like you described) and it was the shifter. Is your car going into "battery saver mode"?

Advanced Tuner
    You are correct. Even though the battery was replaced the gremlins have returned. But why would a shifter make the radio come on and off also? I think it may be time to bring it to my full service transmission/motor mechanic.

But even though it may not be the shifter the transmission has been rebuilt a few times without the shifter being replaced. So I did order a new shifter through the site you recommended. The car has 125K on it. So what the heck.
    Last edited by CactusG8; 09-13-2015 at 10:02 AM.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    That's a good question. I hope it's not the BCM.

Advanced Tuner
    I did have my window swithes go out and the local Cadillac/gmc dealer replaced the switches in the middle console. Maybe they touched something? But that would not be near the BCM? How much is the BCM? That is the cluster module. Correct?

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet

Advanced Tuner
    I THINK it controls everything related to the body of the car. Radio, climate control and the manual shifting.

My car is doing some goofy stuff also. Not sure what's causing it. I see the info center go nuts every now and then. I just need it to hold out until after Ocean City October 8th. Then it can go gown. In a have a GTP to drive in case she goes down

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusG8 View Post
    I started the car this morning and the radio kept going on and off for 10 minutes. It self corrected. When I put her in sport mode the mph and the sport mode symbol on the dash kept interchanging. The transmission then went from 6th to 5th. It is behaving funky and going back and forth between 5th and 6th with the dash lights going back and forth from mph to the sport mode symbol. That is continuing. In drive mode I do not notice it.
    Does the G8 control both the radio and transmission through controls on the steering wheel? If it does, then your clock spring might be messed up.

Advanced Tuner
    No. Just the radio, phone, Driver info center, etc.

Advanced Tuner
    While fueling up today I started the car. The alternator light came on the dash for a whole 3 seconds. It did not come on again on the 15 minute ride home. I think it is the beginning of the end for the alternator. I have 125K on the car and originally it was a 6.0. Now with a 6.8 it has the original alternator made for the smaller engine. I got a genuine gm replacement one for the 6.2. I think it is rated slightly higher. I got it from Rock Auto and it will be here in a week.

10.13@ 140 DA 5000 feet