Thread: Still a New Guy

Tuner

Still a New Guy

So I'm just looking for a little how to info. I'm new to tuning and have slowly been doing small little changes. But I feel I have come to a wall because I don't have a process. For some reason my brain is having an issue figuring this out without some type of step by step. I realize that there really isn't much of one but anything will help me at this point. Before doing anything it would start and run pretty damn well. But I went through the "Idle Tuning" how to and now it idles much better then it did. I've taken it out and gotten a few logs but don't have internet at home to post, I'm writing this on my short lunch break. I am not very confident on were to go from idle tuning, I changed few cells in the VE table a short way and now my LTFT show it adding more fuel then before I changed anything. I know I need a W/B but its not in the budget at this time but will get one soon. I will post a log and tune ASAP. But until then someone please point me in some direction.

2002 Yukon Denali XL 1500
    LQ4 .30 overbore 862 Heads
    226 236 @ .050 525 525

Any info helps thank you

Check out the stickies at the top of this forum

Advanced Tuner
    What problem are you having exactly? You said that the LTFT are adding more than it was before. I'm assuming you are trying to tune the VE using LTFT. Has the weather changed since last time you tuned? Do you still have COT and DFCO disabled? Have you failed the MAF to ensure you are running off the VE table? Does that PCM have a primary and secondary VE table or just Primary?

In your histogram settings, how many hits are required? If you doing this on the street I can see where this would be a little bit more difficult to do.

Tuner
    So I checked over everything to make what I have or have not done. And basically my answer is No. I never disabled COT or DFCO in the first place. I had thought I set the MAF fail but I guess not. My PCM has just a primary table. The day I logged my tune on was similar in weather as the day I changed anything. There wasn't much of a BARO difference about .04 in and similar humidity. Like I said I'm new to this, like VERY new and have very little idea how to set up histograms, or custom anything really. I have set up my charts and a few pids but otherwise I really don't know what I'm doing as far as histograms.
    I have read the stickys and everywhere I read says to disable torque management. I have done what I could but I feel that what I look at on my editor is different then what is described. So I'm just kinda confused at a lot of stuff on here. I have a log and a tune that I'll post.

Tuner
    Has Anyone had issues with low RPM P/N misfires? Guy at work says lope could be interpreted as a misfire...

Tuner
    Sorry to bump this back up. But im having trouble properly failing my MAF. It's set to fail on first error but it doesn't fail. And when I set Frequency Fail High to something like 0, at about 2000 RPM I fall in to reduced engine power. How can I avoid this?