Thread: Ford 6.8 V10

Ford 6.8 V10 - update:Definition file obtained!

I've seen two mentions in searches of HPTuners working for the Triton V10, but they are old and the supported vehicles list still doesn't show the 6.8. I've just purchased one and hear there are gobs of parameters that can be tuned with proper access. I'm eager to do it myself if HPTuners will give me access. Year limitations if any? Mine's a 2010. And if supported, anyone out there who has done one and cares to share? I hear they have NO open loop programming beyond cold start, and only use 3 of the gears in the transmission....

Jon
    Last edited by E55Amg; 09-27-2015 at 11:07 PM.

What is it your looking to do?
    I've been beating on a 3valve for years now ... added a supercharger, then nitrous, custom headers, and on the list goes. It's only now with race gas and a fairly big shot of nitrous am I seeing any HP #'s. There is no aftermarket support (cams,heads,blowers, nothing) so get ready to custom build everything if you want to add performance and the transmission is a 5R110W which is actually a 6 speed (in tow/haul) 5 speed normally. I did not use HP Tuners (was years ago) but I believe the support is there.
    53 Mercury pickup triton3v V10 supercharged 150 nos 535rwhp
    71 Roadrunner gen 4 viper
    53 Chevy pickup 4x4 5.3L twin turbo

If there's power to be had with the stock tuning I'd love to take advantage of it. It seems very weak in the mid range for what it is. I'm curious about the trans programming and making use of all the gears if it does not. The shifting seems quite sloppy stock. Overall just improve the driving experience. Not interested in making any kind of racer out of it, but the guys who have gotten the flash programmer tuning swear by the difference. I'm coming out of an 04 6.0 diesel into this one (chose gasser due to the ford diesel stigma).

After attempting a read, they do not currently have the definition file, but at some point will.

Definition file obtained!

Now that I've gotten a look at it... it's a bit confusing. First of all, there is no power enrichment tab or even table. It appears that when it is cold it is 14.7:1 at all times on the fueling, and once it warms up, it is 13.9:1 at all times <50% throttle, and 12.0 at all times >50% throttle. Those are rough estimates, as I don't see a defined lambda...

Second, I don't see any shift tables - no pressures, or tps vs. speed/rpm. A lengthy TCC section, but I'm relatively unfamiliar with playing with converter values.

Thirdly DFCO seems very abnormal. 3.5 seconds delay to DFCO, with 3.5 seconds again if you tap the throttle. I'll be checking out some other truck tunes to see what kind of DFCO values they use.

Idle rpm 604... 604?? How... specific.

Thoughts? Cstyle2010V10original.hpt

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide for tuning the drive by wire? I'm hearing that's one of the biggest seat of the pants changes on these and haven't dealt with any of the Ford engines yet.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by E55Amg View Post
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide for tuning the drive by wire? I'm hearing that's one of the biggest seat of the pants changes on these and haven't dealt with any of the Ford engines yet.
    Any update on this one? I?m looking for some assistance with the v10 as well....

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by danphealy View Post
    Any update on this one? I?m looking for some assistance with the v10 as well....

Many thanks!
    I used a mustang drive by wire tuning guide and adapted it with some little touches. I can concur that it is a rather dramatic change in how it behaves - less dead on the low end. I can send you my file if you're interested.

Jon