Thread: Crankshaft sensor and cam sensor

Crankshaft sensor and cam sensor

I did my own stand alone harness modifications to my 05 5.3 dbw harness and just found out today that the crank and can sensor plugs are the same. I swapped the engine into a 77 c10 and I've been trying to get my no spark issue figured out all weekend and earlier today I was tracing wires and found out they were the same. Maybe most of you knew this but I did not and I can only hope this info might be able to help someone out who might have had the same problems I did. When I got the engine/trans and harness it was already out of the truck and the harness was removed and that's why I believe I got the sensors swapped. Hope this info helps.

Potential Tuner
    Those would be hard to mix up unless the harness has been taken apart and lost it's stock form. The crank sensor is with the purple starter wire and goes down the driver side of the engine, across the front of the oil pan, then down the passenger side of the engine to the crank sensor.

Yeah the harness had been removed and disassembled already. I finished converting to stand alone and that was a lot more dismantling. Im sure if it would have still been together when I got it I wouldn't have had this problem.

Potential Tuner
    Verify what the wires are by color. Shouldn't be to hard to do.

Tuner in Training
    the CAM senor wires will be at the back of the engine with the knock sensor and OPS sensor.
    CAM wire colors are:
    A BRN/WHT-------- to ECM B-73
    B PNK/BLK -------- to ECM B-61
    C RED ---------- to ECM G-39

CKP wire colors are:
    A DK BLU/WHT------------ to ECM B-12
    B YEL/BLK --------------- to ECM B-21
    C LT GRM --------------- to ECM B-2

Hope that helps you out.
    Holden