Thread: Looking for a tuning shop in the Birmingham Alabama Area for a Gen 3 engine package

Potential Tuner

Looking for a tuning shop in the Birmingham Alabama Area for a Gen 3 engine package

We have a customer that is having tune issues with his 6.0 4L65E package. Instead of having him remove the engine and harness from his truck and send it to us we'd like to help him find a qualified tuner in the Birmingham area (he actually lives in Townley).

Basic run down of the engine is as follows:

• Reman LQ9 Short Black
    • Howards 224/[email protected] .612/638 Lift - 115 LSA cam
    • L92 Gen 4 cylinder heads
    • OEM Gen 4 intake manifold
    • Aftermarket 92 mm FBC throttle body
    • 42 PSI injectors

His original tune was a straight stoichimetric tune which was subsequently changed to a speed density tune. The primary issue he is experiencing with either tune is that the engine won't idle. I have attached a copy of his speed density tune. We have a feeling the issues may be less related to tune and more related to either an incorrect MAP sensor or a defective throttle body, but we have no way of telling from here. So that's why we're looking for a tuner that can trouble shoot product as well as tune.

Any recommendations for a local shop would be greatly appreciated.

Stu

Potential Tuner
    Anyone have a shop they can recommend???

I'm not recommending but a quick search pulled up speed south.

Potential Tuner
    SS is pretty expensive from what I hear.

Most use Walker's Dyno tune in Trussville. I hear good things about those guys.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the leads. I've found quite a few by doing an online search for dyno shops in the area. Obviously anyone can hang a sign saying they're in business and they all say they're good at what they do, but not everyone can trouble shoot. That's why I was hoping for a few references.

Tuner in Training leamangriffin's Avatar
    speed south has a very good tuner... I used to wrench there and we have turned out some pretty nasty LS cars...

Potential Tuner
    We ended up using Henson Performance in Birmingham and had great results!

Potential Tuner
    Do you know what was causing the bad idle?
    I also have a stage 3 setup and it won't idle properly so I'm wondering if it's the tune or something is not working properly

Potential Tuner
    At this point the idle issue has been resolved, but they haven't completed the tuning yet due to torque converter issues so we don't have a copy of the final tune to know what was corrected.