Thread: First timer trying to get my car running

Potential Tuner

First timer trying to get my car running

Hello forum. I have a 6.0L swapped into a foxbody. It's a 6.0L with a LS9 cam,(spring upgrade also)lightly ported heads,ported throttle body,LS1 intake,stock truck map sensor in the back of the intake, my computer is out of a 2005 Chevy express van. No MAF and at this point in time I'm only running a wideband and no O2 sensors. What other info is needed to get this situation clearer. My issue is I'm getting a cam postion sensor code and my engine won't run. I have the tan sensor in the front timing cover with a 1x reluctor wheel and I've read you have to swap the two outside wires for this to work. I did and no change really. Maybe runs for 2 seconds and dies. I went into DTC's and turned off all the no longer needed DTC's. This is my first time ever seeing this software and have been doin all my own research before even sending any questions out and am trying to learn on my own. But I can't even get to the point of getting the car running to start my tuning. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you
    Ron from DARK Horse performance.

no o2 and no maf? that's not the dark horse, that's the crazy horse. give your ecu back the resolution to accurately control the engines fueling, and then tune it properly or find someone who can.

Without the file, we can't help.

Maybe you didnt fail the MAF correctly in the tune, and didnt set the DTC right. It will want a IAT too, but that is in the MAF sensor pigtail so thats going to be all wrong. It needs o2 sensors to funcion right aswell.

But running without the MAF is fine and the norm for boosted vehicles but you need o2 sensors and a IAT sensor for the motor to have any clue what it needs to do.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Ok thanks guys. I was told if I'm tuning off a wide band I don't need O2's but I will install them tonite and try again. I'm not running a MAF cuz it's a turbo set up. I have a 101mm Garrett that is currently off the car till I figure out this whole HPtuners and get my car fully set up before I go makin any boost pulls. But like I said it won't even run. So
    1. I swapped CPS wires and CPS code is gone.one problem overted
    2. I 0'd out my MAF coulums to a value of all 0's and turned the dtc off and put no error reported
    But what I've read is the MAF still has to be on just with no mill light so it still looks but finds nothing. Is that right?
    I am all new to this and just picked it up last week and just taught myself how to use a lap top never mind all this complicated software to boot. I now know how the computer works and get the jist of the software. I am currently on my mobile phone. I will log in on my computer and upload a file to the forum. I have not really changed much and don't know really what to change and just learning so be kind please. Lol. Thanks for everything guys any little bit helps.
    #Wish it was a carburetor and a ol small block sometimes. 😒😖

Potential Tuner
    As for the inlet air temp sensor does anyone have a part number for one to use for a set up like this. A regular GM part or was it part of the MAF. Thanks for any input.

gm makes an iat sensor that is separate from the maf. you canfind it by ordering iat for 97-99 corvette. but you might have to get creative on it's mounting. here is how i mounted an iat in a whipple supercharged Silverado..

My job is actually a licensed magnuson dealer, so we ordered the iat sensor, grommet, lockdown and bolt from magnuson for their tvs2300 supercharger and i drilled 2 holes and tapped the small one. however you attach your iat, it should be after the power adder and it needs to be in well enough that it won't leak out your boost.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.