Thread: Windows 8.1 Tablet Instrument Cluster - Solstice Custom Mount

Windows 8.1 Tablet Instrument Cluster - Solstice Custom Mount

Sick of the laptop...

How I mounted a Tablet running VCM Scanner/Editor HPT in a Solstice. No mods required, just slides into that deep cavity of the Solstice cluster, friction fit holds it in place.

See link to album below:

http://imgur.com/a/0LOaO

I have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard (no dongles), so the VCM Editor is fully accessible for in car tuning.
    Last edited by steelmesh; 08-30-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Nice!

Advanced Tuner
    I have 10" tablet mounted in my Balt but I find myself always tuning so the laptop is predominantly in the car. I am thinking of putting a laptop mount in the car as well so I can swivel it into a better position and see it while I'm driving instead of it placed on the seat. Nice setup though. Only problem I could see is with sunlight. I doesn't look like it sits back far enough to give it the shade it needs. I could be wrong so please let others know. Of course we could probably removed the stock gauges a d custom mold a tablet in but I'm not sure if anyone would be that crazy to do that to their car. Nice setup though and definitely unique.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    I have 10" tablet mounted in my Balt but I find myself always tuning so the laptop is predominantly in the car. I am thinking of putting a laptop mount in the car as well so I can swivel it into a better position and see it while I'm driving instead of it placed on the seat. Nice setup though. Only problem I could see is with sunlight. I doesn't look like it sits back far enough to give it the shade it needs. I could be wrong so please let others know. Of course we could probably removed the stock gauges a d custom mold a tablet in but I'm not sure if anyone would be that crazy to do that to their car. Nice setup though and definitely unique.
    I agree with sunlight/glare. I tried to actually give it a negative cant so the face of the screen starts to look down, may need more. My acid test was just holding the tablet in this area and tilting it around to see how glare will affect it.

Advanced Tuner
    Unfortunately the steering wheel sits to close to add any kind of visor there but you could try it and it may give enough. If you could figure out how to mount it back further it would work otherwise choose a different spot in my opinion. I need to had a visor to mine still because when the light hits it I'm not seeing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Unfortunately the steering wheel sits to close to add any kind of visor there but you could try it and it may give enough. If you could figure out how to mount it back further it would work otherwise choose a different spot in my opinion. I need to had a visor to mine still because when the light hits it I'm not seeing anything.
    Maybe tilt it back and add a visor? I will need to put some time on it in different conditions and see how it works.

I have been using this mount daily, it performs very well. It's not the very best with the sun out; however, it's still intelligible in these conditions. At night it is sweet.
    Last edited by steelmesh; 09-24-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Because Racecar! You selling those?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
    I have been using this mount daily, it performs very well. It's not the very best with the sun out; however, it's still intelligible in these conditions. At night it is sweet.
    Build a hood for it

Quote Originally Posted by PSYKOSTEVO View Post
    Because Racecar! You selling those?
    You need one? I have the files and material to burn this exact one out.