Thread: Newb... here goes nothin'

Potential Tuner

Newb... here goes nothin'

So I bought an 06 LSJ Cobalt last year... modded it, had it remote tuned and ran fine.
    I have since blew out the cat. Took the car to a dyno meet and produced 285whp... however the shop owner informed me that I was running a tad lean (12.4-12.7) at WOT. So I borrowed my brother's HPT to try to learn how to richen up the Balt.

That brings you up to speed to me sitting here completely screw faced, confused, and now reading.

Just looking to say hello and be pointed in the right direction.
    My guess is #1 read read read before doing anything.

What are the best things most of you guys started reading?

Any recommended books?

Best advice other than "quit while you're ahead"? haha

My other guess is google will be my best friend in finding the basics... but figured I would also post up and ask from the pros what worked best for them or what they would do differently if they had to start all over again.

Thank You,
    Al
    RoadKone

So trial and error is ok depending on doing it safe.

Small minor changes and track them, record your changes affect and do it again.

There are some learning tools out there.

I have used the tuning school learn at home for GM level 1 and 2. They are prtty good.

LaSota racing also has some guides, however they are somewhat lite but are good for the beginner.

Hope this helps

In the vcm editor, you will goto engine > fuel control > power enrich. you will look for the delay rpm and make sure it is set to 0. Then where it says enrichment rate which should be at 1.0 you can change that to 1.3 or 1.5 this is how fast the ecu will try to find it's target afr once pe is enabled. Then under eq ratio vs. rpm you can highlight the whole table and set it to 1.278(should be 11.5:1 target afr) this table is your commanded afr in power enrichment. you take 14.7 and devide it by whatever afr you want and the number you get is what you enter in the cells. 14.7/11.5=1.278 14.7/11.0=1.336 14.7/10.5=1.4 you get the idea. There is also a poer enrich enable tps table you can play with which determines how much throttle input vs. rpm it takes to engage power enrichment