Thread: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8) drivers not compatible??

Potential Tuner

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Windows 8) drivers not compatible??

I just purchased HP Tuners to install on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 which is technically a tablet but is a laptop replacement. It runs just like a computer and is what I intended on using to run my software due to its size and it being the newest device I own. I downloaded the software from the website since it doesn't have a cd-rom drive. All was good, put in my serial number, etc and got that setup.

I then hooked up the MPVI to the usb port and it started searching for drivers. It started to act like it was doing something but then after an hour of not getting any further I figured something isn't right. I canceled the task and went to manually update drivers according to the instructions if you have problems and it just tells me that there are no compatible drivers for this device and if I try loading I get stuck back in that acting like it is doing something mode where I have to eventually open up my task manager and force a cancel of the task.

Am I screwed now? Is there in fact drivers for me? Please help, I want to use my software

Have you tried the driver install instructions for those without internet section, as described here :

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...r-installation

Potential Tuner
    I tried different steps to include updating drivers using the "search online" option which just runs and runs and nothing ever happens and then also downloaded drivers and selected search computer directing to them and nothing seems to work. I emailed HPTuners and basically was told stuff will either work or not work and it is hit or miss so I am pretty much just screwed even though the Surface is just like a full functioning Laptop that just falls under the tablet category. I read on here that others are using different tablets and even the Surface 2 so I don't see why my Pro 3 wouldn't work.

Maybe it is just me and I am not doing something right trying to load the drivers but I followed the steps from the help section and tried 2 different ways, them being these below.

Windows 7, 8 , Vista & XP 64 bit operating systems driver install instructions for those with internet but windows automatic updates turned off
    1)Connect your MPVI interface to your laptop
    2)At this point the driver install will likely fail(it did for me)
    3)Open the control panel and in the search window enter device drivers
    6)Under Device manager select the update device drivers one
    7)There will likely be two MPVI devices with an ! listed next to them in the 'other devices' section
    8)Right click on the first one, click update driver software
    9)A window will come up, tell it to browse the internet for the drivers
    10) it will now install properly
    11)repeat for the second one and you're done!

Windows 7, 8 , Vista & XP 64 bit operating systems driver install instructions for those without internet
    1)Download the drivers here http://www.hptuners.com/pub/HPT FTDI...08.28 WHQL.zip
    2)Unzip the drivers to your desktop
    3)Connect your MPVI interface to your laptop
    4)At this point the driver install will likely fail(it did for me)
    5)Open the control panel and in the search window enter device drivers
    7)There will likely be two MPVI devices with an ! listed next to them in the 'other devices' section
    9)A window will come up, tell it to browse my computer for driver software-from there find your desktop
    Last edited by Urbamworm; 08-28-2015 at 06:47 PM.

Banned
    With the MPVI plugged in, could you post up a screenshot of the device manager please?

Thanks

Potential Tuner

It will do this all day and go no further if I double click on the HP Tuners MPVI in Device Manager ----> Driver tab ----> Update Driver----->Search Online and computer for drivers

Sorry the pics aren't real clear since I had to take a pic of the screen. Apparently this thing is fighting me more and won't take a screen shot for some reason. Tried both holding the windows button and volume down and the "windows button, fn key, space bar" way and neither would work.

Last edited by Urbamworm; 09-02-2015 at 04:54 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Try this.

Windows 7, 8 , Vista & XP 64 bit operating systems driver install instructions for those without internet
    1)Download the drivers here http://www.hptuners.com/pub/HPT FTDI...08.28 WHQL.zip
    2)Unzip the drivers to your desktop
    3)Connect your MPVI interface to your laptop
    4)At this point the driver install will likely fail(it did for me)
    5)Open the control panel and in the search window enter device drivers
    9)A window will come up, tell it to browse my computer for driver software-from there find your desktop
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    I use my surface pro 3 for tuning. The only problem I have is it locks up the scanner every once in awhile. So this can be fixed. Good luck.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Bill, I tried that step earlier (see my 2nd post) but it didn't want to work for me. I deleted the driver folder and re downloaded them which seemed to have worked this time. It is showing the drivers down in the USB drivers section now so assume it should work.

Appreciate everyone's input.

David