Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coyote Cookbook, new 2011+ Tuning Book

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    How was it?
    I'm glad it exists. It is Coyote only, majority focus on 11-14, but does mention 15+ a lot which is nice (since I own a '15).

I think it is a great primer for amateur tuners. It feels like a handbook you'd get in a training course. By that I mean, has most of the information, but feels like the gaps that exist could/would easily be filled in during training.

The book could have gone either way, more technical, difficult to read, dry, whatever and too long for anyone to read/understand in its entirety. This book was short, to-the-point and hits the high points.

I'll need to read it again, and probably reference it a bit in the short term to fully benefit from it.

I will say, they mentioned the 6r80 a couple of times. Maybe a page dedicated to it in the whole book -- while I understand why they didn't go into depth tuning it, I wished they had (since I own an auto). There seems to be so little information on tuning them. Maybe they'll be another book dedicated to 6r80's?

Do not regret purchasing it. Would recommend to anyone tuning 11+ cars.

Advanced Tuner
    Did it reference mapped point logic and VCT tuning?

Kris

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kris5597 View Post
    Did it reference mapped point logic and VCT tuning?

Kris

There are 4 pages dedicated to VCT. Though they call out the cam tunes (lopey idle they call them) and don't show how to do those (not sure if that's what you're after).

Mapped Point Logic -- doesn't ring a bell. If you can give further context, I can go back and look.

Tuner
    I will say this, when I often buy a programming book, there (used to be) a companion CD or a link to download materials (code samples, scripts, etc). It'd be awesome if some of the spreadsheets and maybe even some basic tunes/tables were available as companion material. TBH, I'm not sure the feasibility of something like that. There are plenty of screen shots in the book, it'd be awesome if there were a way to actually copy & paste those tables.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the comments! As far as typos, it was proofread by 4 different proofreaders and myself like 8 times. In my experience you can proofread it 100 times and still find errors. I find errors in novels I read all the time. At some point you just have to say, 'print it' and live with the typos - and that is what we did. As long as there is nothing huge and glaring we just leave them, they do not take away from the content. It is difficult to relate to anyone what a HUGE undertaking something like this is. I worked on it over two vacations and many late nights - many hundred hours. We aimed it to be in a cookbook style, so anyone could pick it up and understand. Being a retired EPA scientist who wrote a number of lab procedural manuals, part of my job was to keep it all easy to understand without getting too technical.

We could have put a lot more info in the books, but then printing costs, which were very high this time, get higher. Other costs go up too. Plus even if we doubled the size and included twice the content, it still probably would leave some stuff out. We aimed to provide great information on tuning these cars, something that was not available anywhere else. I originally wanted to do EcoBoost too - but it proved too daunting to get in a book under 150 pages - our goal. As far as transmission. Since none of the Ford transmission calibrators can help because of conflict of interest, a comprehensive tranny book will probably never happen.

Yes, mapped points (HDFX) are covered with regards to spark, torque management, etc. are covered.

Thanks Again!

Don
    2006 Mustang GT
    LaSota Racing Tech
    HP Tuners Ultimate Tuning Guide

Page 19 at the bottom:
    "Dynos usually read foot pounds so keep in mind one foot pound equals 1.35581795 Nm. 1 foot pound equals 0.737562149277 Nm."

I believe it should say:
    "Dynos usually read foot pounds so keep in mind one foot pound equals 1.35581795 Nm."

to avoid confusion. Great book! good job!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by esacteksab View Post
    There are 4 pages dedicated to VCT. Though they call out the cam tunes (lopey idle they call them) and don't show how to do those (not sure if that's what you're after).

Mapped Point Logic -- doesn't ring a bell. If you can give further context, I can go back and look.
    VCT tuning. Did it state anything about adjusting VCT to increase and decrease overlap for power gaining throughout the powerband, not lopey idle.

The car operates on mapped points for ignition advance. Not sure if it said anything about tuning the mapped points. Probably not, probably just talked about using OP mode for ignition advance.

Kris

Advanced Tuner
    Has anyone used the formula on page 91 for the differences between tables? If so, can you walk me through the execution process in the spreadsheet?

Edit: I figured it out. Different syntax with my spreadsheet.
    Last edited by txcharlie; 09-02-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Ya I was hoping someone who is smarter then me could make a spread sheet for us to use lol.

Tuner
    So on Pg 35 it talks about Startup Idle, and specifically mentions

Engine -> Idle -> RPM -> Startup
    Engine -> Idle -> RPM -> Adder Max Time
    Engine -> Idle -> RPM -> Adder vs Startup ECT

On Pg 36 it mentions
    Engine -> Idle -> RPM -> Adder vs. Startup IAT

None of these exist for me.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bl6pq1hhq...22.01.png?dl=0

Are they missing for 2015? Don't exist for 2015?

The primary reason I'm asking is I'm thinking about switching to E85 and wonder about cold start ups.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by esacteksab View Post
    So on Pg 35 it talks about Startup Idle, and specifically mentions

Engine -> Idle -> RPM -> Startup
    Engine -> Idle -> RPM -> Adder Max Time
    Engine -> Idle -> RPM -> Adder vs Startup ECT

On Pg 36 it mentions
    Engine -> Idle -> RPM -> Adder vs. Startup IAT

None of these exist for me.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0bl6pq1hhq...22.01.png?dl=0

Are they missing for 2015? Don't exist for 2015?

The primary reason I'm asking is I'm thinking about switching to E85 and wonder about cold start ups.
    Yeah, those don't seem to exist in the 2015, but see the Engine->Fuel->Open & Closed Loop->Base Fuel->Fuel Base Cold

This table might be what you are after

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Plimmer View Post
    Yeah, those don't seem to exist in the 2015, but see the Engine->Fuel->Open & Closed Loop->Base Fuel->Fuel Base Cold

This table might be what you are after
    Looks like it might do. Thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    LaSota states that 15 idle control is torque based and that some idle is controlled through driver demand. (page 85)

Am also wondering why the book has you change your overlap borders to -65 55 across the board?

I have a couple questions, the first on page 28 about the Fuel Imbalance Monitor. Does commanded lambda get multiplied by these values? Does setting cells to 1 in this table mean that those cells no longer affect fueling?

Also, page 30, why would you raise the Torque Limit Timer and Max Torque Limit?Is this just for power adder cars? Is this required to disable the Fuel Cut Torque Ratio(Mentioned on previous page)?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes, anything with a value less than 1 is pulling fuel. Set all cells to 1, unless the value is greater than 1, in which case you should leave that cell as is.
    I don't know if it's related to Fuel Cut Torque Ratio, but I believe he has us change these to prevent us from hitting one of the many torque limiting features. It kind of defeats the purpose of tuning the pcm for more power, only to have some torque limiting feature neutralize our efforts.

OK,I just wanted to be sure since so much of the tune is Torque based. I'm just going through the book again at this point making notes on all changes I want to apply to my tune.

Don, anything about tranny tune in this book?

Thanks.
    Eastern and Central Europe American Muscle and Harley-Davidson tuning
    www.hd-customs.pl
    http://www.facebook.com/hdcustomspl

There is a couple pages about the 6R80 but nothing really in depth about it.

just purchased looking forward to reading all night