Thread: Replacing 6L80E with one from same year

Potential Tuner

Replacing 6L80E with one from same year

I recently purchased a 2006 6L80E transmission as a possible replacement for the 6L80E that is currently in my 2006 Vette.
    I have been told that if I swap transmissions, the VIN in the replacement TCM does not match my current transmission VIN, that the replacement
    will work but cannot be tuned. My question is can the VIN in the replacement transmission be reset to match the vehicles VIN
    using HPT. Any help is appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't believe so... But it can be tuned regardless. However, if the TCM and ECM don't match, weird things will happen. Try it and see... Worst case you'll have to take it in and have it all flashed at the dealer, or you can send them to someone like me and I can do it on the bench.

Advanced Tuner
    It can be done, but it you'll need somebody with a Tech 2 to do it.

Tuner
    Hptuners can't that I know I've heard people use the tech 2 but I would just change the old tcm to the new 6l80 problem fixed
    Josh Performance Tuning (956)784-0059
    https://www.facebook.com/joshperformancetuning

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshtuning View Post
    Hptuners can't that I know I've heard people use the tech 2 but I would just change the old tcm to the new 6l80 problem fixed
    Sometimes that is just not possible... The TCM is more than just a module, it's a part of the valve body with mechanical parts that do go bad

Tuner in Training
    tcm does not store the vin. install new trans. do a write entire of the old file in with the replacement trans in and move on with life.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it does and with a mismatched TCM you can't change anything in the tune.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    Yes it does and with a mismatched TCM you can't change anything in the tune.
    X2 it wont let you write the file anymore
    Josh Performance Tuning (956)784-0059
    https://www.facebook.com/joshperformancetuning

Tuner in Training
    I'm about to attempt something similar (swapping transmissions), and I see where you guys are saying that I will not be able to tune it anymore? That's concerning...
    Is this a licensing issue, or an issue with HPT? Can I just give them another $100 and be able to tune it? If not, is there another software package out there that is better suited to this sort of stuff?