Thread: Issue on lnf e47

Potential Tuner

Issue on lnf e47

hey guys having an issue with e47 on a lnf. the car runs with stft at 3-4 however at higher rpms the car is starting to pop like a misfire. fuel rail is at 16 mpa and i was thinking of bumping the mpa to 16.5. the log is on a differnt computer so ill put it up later. attached is the tune let me know what u guys think.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    What kind of tune file are you looking to make? Drag, Auto X, Large Circuit, DD Sleeper?
    As for your file:
    You still have tables that are set to multiple condition mode and you need to get those set into default commanded mode so you can have proper control.
    I suggest going to the lnf bible thread (link in my signature section) and reviewing the lnf videos. You have a lot of features that need to be defaulted, raised, lowered etc.
    Your misfire like symptoms:
    E47 isn't known for capping out fuel injectors like E60 and E85 are. Chances are you blew the injector seals out (very common) or have old spark plugs that are struggling to be consistent under the higher load you now command. If your popping noise sounds like popcorn exploding in a pot then i would bet you lost at least one injector seal. For now lets wait to see your log before you go tearing everything apart for physical inspection.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    What kind of tune file are you looking to make? Drag, Auto X, Large Circuit, DD Sleeper?
    As for your file:
    You still have tables that are set to multiple condition mode and you need to get those set into default commanded mode so you can have proper control.
    I suggest going to the lnf bible thread (link in my signature section) and reviewing the lnf videos. You have a lot of features that need to be defaulted, raised, lowered etc.
    Your misfire like symptoms:
    E47 isn't known for capping out fuel injectors like E60 and E85 are. Chances are you blew the injector seals out (very common) or have old spark plugs that are struggling to be consistent under the higher load you now command. If your popping noise sounds like popcorn exploding in a pot then i would bet you lost at least one injector seal. For now lets wait to see your log before you go tearing everything apart for physical inspection.
    Thanks for the info, yeah I have a lot of things set to stock at the moment because I was fixing trims first. I got his trims set close and under load they are -6 stfts I simply removed over boost protection and didnt mess with dals or wastegate controls untill I get his trims correct. We are at a stand still right now because of the popping at heavy load, and it only happens around 4500-5500 rpms .

Advanced Tuner
    Do you mean that the STFT's are -0.6 or -6.0? If you can get them closer to 0 +/-1%, you may stop the popping. I know that mine popped a bit when the fuel trims weren't perfect and if you're at -6.0, I'd keep working on them.

Potential Tuner
    -6 whole number yeah I knows its not perfect but the piping is noticeable and feels like misfires at top rpms, the guy Is deciding to go 93 octane now so we have to drain his tank. But I never had this much of an issue with e47 and cobaltoverbooster thanks for the videos I learned some more about boost control.

the problem is when you change the dals and the wgdc tables to allow a higher output you will throw you fueling off again.
    once the scan file has been seen we can confirm a few things. i have a few suspicions but i dont want to stir up any thoughts until a log has officially been reviewed.

Potential Tuner
    Yeah I was taught to fix maf before adding boost.. Guess I was wrong, I have a log but its only at idle because we were trying to drain the e47, I put a tune in for 93 octant filled it up and now the car runs real smooth. I'll post logs of it when I get home tonight

Your not entirely wrong. As you raise boost to its final value I tune the maf as I go. Keeping the fuel trims under an 8% error as I go so the computer can get close between flashes.
    Tune the maf for the pump gas you have now. When you blend it e47 then all you need to do is adjust the injector offset during idle until the trims are close to zero. This method eases control over idle. After that's set you can retune the maf for everything other than idle and be golden.

How new are your plugs? And what gap did you I stall them at?

Potential Tuner
    Your not entirely wrong. As you raise boost to its final value I tune the maf as I go. Keeping the fuel trims under an 8% error as I go so the computer can get close between flashes.
    Tune the maf for the pump gas you have now. When you blend it e47 then all you need to do is adjust the injector offset during idle until the trims are close to zero. This method eases control over idle. After that's set you can retune the maf for everything other than idle and be golden.

How new are your plugs? And what gap did you I stall them at?
    That makes sense my trims are now within 5 so I'll start adding boost and adjust trims again, the plugs I replaced for him last night they are acdelco @.32. I'm thinking he may have a issue within the tps as when he revs the motor to ~2k the timing jumps down and the stfts reset to 0 even on pump gas. Looked over the cam tables and its a nice smooth transition currently so either he has a flat spot in the tps or something however the popping at high rpms is gone now after plugs and retune. I'm off in a hour and I'll post the log.

P.s. after talking with the owner he said that the flat spot was there allready before tune (would have been nice to know) as he may have a issue that will make tuning impossible I.e.throttle sensor, tps, etc.

spark plug gap?

Potential Tuner
    spark plug gap?

i hope you mean .032 cause i can drive a cruise ship through .32 lol
    if you keep having top end problems under max boost try tightening them up to .030
    a lot of people will complain but my drag motor runs them as tight as .024 and i know some of the 2jz race motors go as tight as .019 full boost.

Senior Tuner
    i hope you mean .032 cause i can drive a cruise ship through .32 lol
    if you keep having top end problems under max boost try tightening them up to .030
    a lot of people will complain but my drag motor runs them as tight as .024 and i know some of the 2jz race motors go as tight as .019 full boost.
    I ran my lsj at .022 at 30psi with modified dwell settings to keep the blow out demons at bay.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.

I hear that..I might need to do that myself if I switch to m1.

Advanced Tuner
    Don't you just love when people assume that they can ignore mechanical issues, because the tune will just make up for them?

Senior Tuner
    when the afr goes wonky, and the fuel pressure is still steady. this is a sign.

Little high on the fuel pressure for e47.
    The most hated, make the most power.
    93 Ranger. 5.3 D1X. 1069hp.