Thread: I need help with p0238

Tuner

I need help with p0238

2012 tuned Sonic 1.4T 6M.

It doesn't seem real picky when it sets, but it's pretty apparent and throws it into limp mode.

Doesn't happen with the stock tune, just the one I have done.

Car runs good otherwise, mustered out 36+ mpg on the way home from a 2 hour trip pushing 75-80, maybe a little more at times when conditions allowed.

Pulls really hard until it throws that code.

p0238.JPGv 2.01.hpt

Tuner
    In thinking, the way it pegs 255 kpa, it makes me think there's something else going on there too. I almost feel like I'm missing something, maybe a maxed out sensor that's not showing the whole story.

Tuner
    I went logging again with the Boost Sensor Pressure PID added. It shows 264 in a similar situation.

p0238-2.JPG

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    the standard map sensor according to the calibration can read upwards of 30.6 psi. The only sensor that comes close to your kpa values would be the SCIAP Sensor but the voltage tests on that sensor are normally turned off.
    you have an interesting issue.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner
    Hmm ... that Boost Sensor PID is a lot more believable IMO.

I just want to know why it's being over shot just enough.

Part of me wants to just adjust the Overboost table in the Engine Diag. Rationale says that at stock levels GM allows for a lot more fudge than the 19-24 kpa that's listed above the factory boost levels. THe other part of me wants it right. However, as long as there's fuel and no KR, all's well.

Tuner
    Well, I did some looking. That code will set if the Boost Pressure sensor sees more than 4.7V for more than 5 seconds. The sensor reads between 0 and 269 kpa.

If it's reading at 255-260 kpa, my bet is that it's reading more than 4.7v, in which case everything is happening just like it should. I'm commanding 240. A little overshoot would be expected and acceptable I would think.

In knowing this, I think I'm going to set the code to report no error and see what happens. Would anyone else disagree?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    You would only have to review it more frequently to verify you aren't exceeding the max range

Tuner
    Disabled and flashed.

All is well. Looking for a couple of other things now, but that issue is fixed.

Any idea why the throttle body would be closing on a WOT pull? It appears as that's the preferred method to lower boost rather than opening the wastegate.