Thread: Virtual Volumetric Efficiency

Virtual Volumetric Efficiency

Is anyone willing to share there procedure for logging and editing the new VVE editor? I am lost. From what I can see the 2.24 scanner is not able to log the data required on the new generation ecm's to edit it and the beta scanner seems to be a incomplete useless piece of crap right now. Seems we are stuck between the old and new scanner and neither is up to the task. Call me stupid call me dumb call me what you want but please somebody write a tutorial on how to do it (or provide me a link to a tutorial).

Thanks
    Mike

um sorry road but i have the same experience with this as you.... I have to use 24 scanner w 25 editor and yes it's lost īn translation..... HP where are you? I can't make it work either.

It's difficult for us to help you when all we have to go by is "incomplete useless piece of crap." Help us help you by providing constructive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    Seems we are stuck between the old and new scanner and neither is up to the task.
    No one is stuck....its called BETA for a reason. If you're not capable of exploring on your own and testing this software for them, you probably shouldn't be using it. Not to sound mean, but its true. You can easily set up custom histo's in 2.24 with the right inputted values in both planes and log the right values. But it is custom and will require some self initiative on your part to set them up through trial and error. As for editing the tables.....very similar to the Blue cat tool, but better. I'm assuming you've at least read through the VVE blue cat tool thread to get an idea of how people were using it to edit the VVE tables. Or you can look at what EFI live did, as their tool is not too different than blue cats or HP's.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    It's difficult for us to help you when all we have to go by is "incomplete useless piece of crap." Help us help you by providing constructive feedback.
    Sorry for the rant but I have a busy schedule and for me to stop and read through a bunch of post on the forum to try and figure out the way a software program works is not for me. I tune a lot of newer stuff that doesn't require a lot of VE tuning but I am finding more and more "factory" tuned vehicles are needing VE and Maf tuned to calibrate excessive fuel trims. That is the first thing I correct when I tune. I cant seem to get the correct axis to log in the 2.24 scanner and when I log in the 2.25 beta scanner I cant get the user defined pids to work or filter any strings. What is the best way to go about correcting VE? What pid is best for logging for VE correction (wide band, LTFT, STFT AFR, GM VE etc..). Just a little tutorial as to what software and pids we should be using and how to set them up would help.

Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger6202 View Post
    No one is stuck....its called BETA for a reason. If you're not capable of exploring on your own and testing this software for them, you probably shouldn't be using it. Not to sound mean, but its true. You can easily set up custom histo's in 2.24 with the right inputted values in both planes and log the right values. But it is custom and will require some self initiative on your part to set them up through trial and error. As for editing the tables.....very similar to the Blue cat tool, but better. I'm assuming you've at least read through the VVE blue cat tool thread to get an idea of how people were using it to edit the VVE tables. Or you can look at what EFI live did, as their tool is not too different than blue cats or HP's.
    Has nothing to do with being "capable" of exploring the software. I don't have the time to test software programs. I wish I did. I have EFI live it works good and comes with tutorial too. Even Bluecat has a tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    Is anyone willing to share there procedure for logging and editing the new VVE editor?

Tuning Addict
    If you can open it, here you go... Histogram #5 for 2.24... This one uses GM Volumetric Efficiency to "create" the VE table. MAF must be pretty dang spot on to work. Will get you very close with MAF still in the picture.

Make sure your 2.24 and 2.25 are both up to date... This one's setup for 2.5bar (I think?) and a 7000 rpm axis for the VE table.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    If you can open it, here you go... Histogram #5 for 2.24... This one uses GM Volumetric Efficiency to "create" the VE table. MAF must be pretty dang spot on to work. Will get you very close with MAF still in the picture.

Make sure your 2.24 and 2.25 are both up to date... This one's setup for 2.5bar (I think?) and a 7000 rpm axis for the VE table.
    Thank you

I see you are using a standard 2 bar map for the row axis in your histogram in 2.24 scanner. How are you copying and paste to the 2.25 ve table when the row axis is in map/baro format? When I change the 2.25 row axis to standard map format (in the 2.25 VE table) it makes the table smaller and turns the cells back into coefficients.
    I have made a user defined Map/Baro pid for the 2.24 scanner but I cannot get the 2.24 scanner to support the row axis from the 2.25 VE editor. The Map/baro pid works and will log data in the primary table in relation to the row axis in the map/baro axis in the 2.25 editor but the histogram doesn't seem to support map/baro axis in 2.24.

I have just discovered that the 2.25 beta scanner does support the map/baro row axis from the 2.25 VE editor. I am hoping that tomorrow when I connect to a car that I will be able to create a user defined map/baro pid in the beta scanner and be able to log a histogram with the correct axis for copying and paste.
    Hopefully this makes since to you. I respectfully need help thanks for the reply back

Mike

Edit: Figured it out thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Road; 08-19-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Well you know more than I do now I honestly haven't played with the 2.25 enough to even know how to create and add histograms. Guess it's time to go back to school

And I've just been using straight up map for my axis in 2.24. Didn't even consider the baro portion since I've never had an issue making the VE tables like that. The gmve has always input into the correct cells so far like that...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    OK, now I'm confused. None of my VVE tables have the baro in the equation. Perhaps why I never thought about it? See attached Pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

~Greg Huggins~

OK, now I'm confused. None of my VVE tables have the baro in the equation. Perhaps why I never thought about it? See attached Pic.
    Apparently the E38 ecm use the map in the row axis and the torque bias ecm (E78,E92,etc) use map/baro. Other than maybe cranking ve there is no table using a map axis (in the new style ecm) and when you connect the scanner to a car with "new style" ecm the scanner will not support map axis in the histogram (the histogram will default to a single row table like a maf histogram). I am finding you must create and log a pid with the sum of map/baro.

I cannot get the histograms to work in 2.25 beta or you cannot create a user defined pid in 2.25 beta scanner so the beta scanner is a no go for now.
    And I guess since I called the beta scanner a piece of crap HP Tuners in not wanting to chime in. (I am sorry HP Tuners please forgive me)

Mike