Thread: Mini AFC Setup

Advanced Tuner

Mini AFC Setup

Hey, installing a Mini AFC on a LSJ car. Currently have 3" piping. And was thinking about going with 3.5" piping but I picked up a mini AFC for $100. So I figured I would give this a shot. I am honestly just looking to make sure I am doing this correct on the scaling side of the installation. So an example that the instructions say is if I set the Mini AFC settings to 112%=richens fuel mixture 12%, settings to 97%=leans fuel mixture 3%, 100%=no change. So that being said if I set the mini AFC to say 130%(richens fuel mixture 30%) how much should I remove from the MAF table. Do I multiply the table by .7 or multiply by .455?
    Thank you,

Obviously no one else is touching this thread, so I'll ask the questions; Why?
    I know ZZP markets this as a 'MAF pegging fix'. However, I maintain that if you're hitting the MAF ceiling you need to increase the MAF tube diameter.

With that said, here is the guide from ZZP's site;
    Basic MAF chart modification:
    Take 100 and divide it by the number that you enter in the MiniAFC, then multiply that result by itself two more times. The end result you will use to multiply the entire MAF chart by.
    For example, set the MiniAFC to 90% and then multiply the entire PCM's MAF chart by 1.372
    Tyler

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Im glad someone else jumped on this one. I got nothing nice to say about this device so im holding it all in.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Well the reason going with mini AFC is 3.5" piping is going to be a tough upgrade due to tight fitment in areas coming from intercooler to intake. And second reason, I don't want to put 3.5" pipe on there and still down the road need to get a mini AFC still. Maxed MAF in 3" tube with 24psi. Car made 600whp. So if you know for 100% sure that I can make 800whp on a 3.5" pipe I will do it. So I can leave the mini AFC off.

Thanks

Around 680 to 700 your going to max the g/cyl out and have to scale the whole ecu at which point I would just run maffless because you have to retune just about every table which will require you to shut the MAF off anyways.

I personally hate this thing because it's a signal modifier. If it fails you still get a signal sent to the ecu throwing the airflow calibration way off. If the MAF fails a circuit then the ecu limps out which isn't always the case for the afc.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I definitely understand that, I would definitely like to try the 3.5" first. If I go with 3.5" piping. Should I do the entire cold side piping? or do you think just running 3.5" about 12" section where MAF is located, would work fine?

that's how the maf relocate charge pipes are setup
    http://zzperformance.com/ecotec/inte...oler-pipe.html

Advanced Tuner
    I would just tune in speed density and take the MAF out of the car 100%, with CSSOB, don't like signal modifiers. Speed density is stupid easy to do on the LSJ cars, too. With 3.5" tubing, I think you will see a slow down in the velocity of the intake air, which isn't a good thing. 3" pipe will support 800 hp easily (of course w/o MAF).

Advanced Tuner
    What MAP sensor setup would you run? Not sure how much boost is going to be the max we will run, it all depends on how much power it makes at each boost level. But definitely over 30psi.

A 3 bar sensor will only read 28psi you would want a 4 bar sensor to push over that up to about 44psi

Advanced Tuner
    And using a 4 bar map sensor with our VE table that only goes to 215kpa, will I be losing all of my low end, cruising, driveability,and idle fueling control. Just trying to picture what the stock table would actually be with a 4 bar. Cause I am guessing the 215kpa would be 405kpa, and what would 15kpa column actually be? I just want to get it all figured out before just jumping into it.

Thank you,

no you just tell the computer what the 4 bar sensor calibration is and the ve data stays the same.
    if you exceed the axis of the ve table then you have to re-scale the ecu.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 08-15-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Alright well I used the Mini AFC this weekend on the car and did some tuning with it on the dyno. So far the Mini AFC did good. I maxed the fuel pump out. So now upgrading the fuel pump again. Once I get the fuel system all finished. I will put it back on the dyno and see what I can max out next. Where does the g/cyl max out at? I was sitting around 1.45g/cyl while at full boost through out the entire run until I maxed the fuel pumo out then I saw Inj Duty % going up quickly and cut the run short. But there at the very end it hit 1.58g/cyl. I know on the timing table that is out of its range but it held the timing that was command for the RPMvsG/CYL @ the last cells available.