Thread: understanding how to setup PE

Advanced Tuner

understanding how to setup PE

I'm really unclear as to how to determine where to set your PE (Power Enrichment) parameters.

On my vehicle (2012 Impala, 3.6L LFX V6, 6T70 trans), which is 100% stock mechanically, with a mailorder tune that I've customized so much that it's actually closer to my stock tune than the mailoder tune, I'm just not sure how to set PE - or if I should even bother changing it at all.

In the stock tune, it doesn't enable PE until 95% torque and 90% throttle (unless over 5120 RPM - between 5120 and 8192 RPM, the throttle enable goes from 83.6 down to 45% thottle).

My mailoder tune had the enable at 15% torque and 40% throttle, which seems kinda low to me, based on what I've read.

But how do I determine how these main PE parameters really should be set? Would I be better off just leaving them at the stock values, mailorder tune values or somwhere in-between?

I just haven't been able to find much information as to how you determine how these values should be set and when/why you'd change them from the stock values. Are there some PIDs I should be wataching to "guide" me as to how these should be set?

Thank you - any info is highly appreciated!

I think I can actually help you with this one. The point of PE is switching the air-fuel ratio to make more power at the cost of efficiency. It's very conservative from factory, but if I recall properly, you're not really interested in power so maybe that would be the best set up for your car. There are a number of ways to set up PE. You can determine an RPM limit, throttle limit, and torque limit. I prefer to dial in PE mode based on my throttle position, so I reduce the other limits so they don't interfere. As far as I can tell, there isn't a wrong way to do it.

I know most of the parameters, what specific questions do you have?
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. Actually, I understnad the PE parameters and how PE works, but I'm not quite clear on how to set them optimally. If it's strictly a "preference", then that's one thing, but I wasn't sure if there was an "optimal" setting "per vehicle". For example, I wasn't sure if it would be "better" to bring PE in at 45% throttle or 80% throttle - and more importantly, how to determine the optimal value. I guess "better" would mean different things to different people though.

If it's just strictly a preference-type setting and there really isn't an "optimal" value, then I'm fine with that.

If there is a "Safety" aspect to when to enable PE, I'd be curious to understand that as well (if it's generally safer for the entine to enable PE at a lower value than a higher value, for example)...

Thanks again.

It's preference. It's just changing the AFR to the predetermined power mode. Just ask yourself: do you want to save as much gas as possible or do you want more effortless acceleration and passing when your foot is halfway into the throttle? I think a lot of people here like PE mode set to 50% of throttle with a rapid changeover.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, I'm definitely not concerned with fuel economy - I just want a smooth, natural driving car. I think I have mine set to around 75% pedal/70% torque right now. I also wasn't sure if lower values would be any better or worse for KR, etc (since you're changing the AFR, etc).

If it's really just a preference setting, then I'll mess with it some more and see what I like the best.

Thanks for the info!

Glad to help.

I would recommend setting your PE based on one parameter and dialing the other limits back somewhat so you have clear control. IMO using those two parameters together will just muddy up your trial and error process. Throttle is preferable because it's tangible while you're driving, you know where your foot is.
    2017 Chevy SS 6.2L/6M