Thread: Going from 2.92 gears to 3.45s or 3.73s

Potential Tuner

Going from 2.92 gears to 3.45s or 3.73s

I have a Pontiac G8 GT with stock 2.92 gears....does all that entail changing them to 3.45 or 3.73s gears is a simple swap.... (excluding the speedo calibration and transmission tune) is this swap possible or do I have to get a whole bunch of other crap done. I keep hearing everyone saying get a Camaro rear end 2010-2014 version, but I don't have 1LE rear end money.$1800 to $2600 before install. When I could get top of the line performance or factory 3.45-3.73 gears installed for $1000 to $1400 bucks. SOMEBODY PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SOLID INPUT....EVEN BETTER IF YOU OWN A G8 GT and have had bigger gears put in without changing your rear end GEEEEEEZZZ.
    Last edited by Terriono Coley; 08-02-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: forgot last sentence

When you mean swap I am assuming you mean purchasing a ring and onion and swapping them. The answer to that is no. There is a lot of effort and setting up the correct pinion depth, pinion bearing clearance set by inch pounds, ring side play and ring position in reference to pinion to get the correct wear pattern between ring and pinion. However do not fear. Look for a Camaro center section as they are actually a drop in. Find one with the gear and limited slip setup. These can be had new for about 1200 or less and used for 500 to 700. Once installed adjust your tune for the correct ratio and verify your speedo, adjust as necessary then enjoy.