Thread: LNF to custom built tube chassis

Potential Tuner

LNF to custom built tube chassis

Hello all gurus!

I appreciate any advice in advance, I recognize there are Cobalt specific sites out there, but a majority of questions I have when searched seems to consistently turn this website up with the answers. So, it seems the people who will know are here....

I have a 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS with the LNF, complete donor car that I am pulling the majority of items out of to transplant to a custom roller tube chassis.

I have been reading up on the issues with the ECU and BCM related to the LNF. I have read that the Trifecta tune will allow me to run the engine stand alone. With the transplant I am doing, it seems that if I can run the BCM from a minimal standpoint it would help. Aside from the cylinder key lock, does anyone know what the minimal sensor requirements are for the BCM to allow the ECU to start the engine?

I have read on this site that HPT isn't getting into the BCM for this car (understandable)...but if I get the Trifecta tune, will the HPT modify the ECU then?

From all I have read, I seriously hope I did not choose the wrong donor car...it does sound like the LNF is the worst for transplants. I have no pre-conceived notions, just here to learn...and maybe learn if I need to sell me donor and get a different year.

thanks!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Run trifecta stand alone then hpt can be used to flash the engine parameters. If you use a trifecta performance tune with the bcm delete flash then the trifecta software will lock out the access for hpt, but only if the engine performance software is used from trifecta.
    The only LNF coding hpt is doing now is for software errors when testing new firmware releases. As far as getting more features I have been told no more time to move on to new ecus on the market. Dont worry though you bought into one of the most powerful 4 cylinder platforms gm offers and we'll do our best here to help you out when your stuck.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your input. I have noticed you provide a lot salient advice on the LNF, exactly one of the gurus I was looking for. Is Modernperformance.com the vendor for the Trifecta Tune?

As an optimist I hope I don't get stuck, but those are always great times to learn. Thank you for your offer of help when I get to that point.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i haven't bought anything trifecta, i cannot confirm that or deny it.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Found it:

Trifecta Performance
    27522 NE 140th Pl
    Duvall, WA 98019

Ph: 425.844.0320

Business Hours: M-F, 9A-5P, Pacific Standard Time
    (we monitor email outside business hours)