Thread: NGK AFX reading 16.00 when in PE/WOT?

Tuner in Training

Angry NGK AFX reading 16.00 when in PE/WOT?

got a 01 z28. recently installed the NGK AFX powerdex into the passenger B1S1 and tuned for OL in the pcm as well as hooked up the analog into the hp tuner (got the pro version). at idle and cruise the gauge fluctuates as normal but once i get into PE/WOT the gauge goes and pegs at 16.00 (thats the max value for the afx) however the datalog seems to read lower since im using the pre-loaded ngk afx Aux input List. i replaced the sensor thinking it was a bad one but still the same issue. is it something in my PCM or the afx thats the issue? i attached a copy of my .hpt in case i may have missing something tuning for OL. any help and advise is greatly appreciated. als attached a couple of my log scans.

Tuner in Training
    for the record i had a firebird a year ago and tuned that in OL but was using a AEM UEGO Wo2 and i just mimic-ed the hpt file from that to the camaro that i have now since the firebird tune ran w/o hiccups.

Sounds like you have a poor ground location for the wideband.

DSX Tuning - Authorized HP Tuners Dealer
    http://www.dsxtuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/dsx.tuning
    Just say no to bull s***.
    IF YOU WANT HELP, POST A FILE!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by DSteck View Post
    Sounds like you have a poor ground location for the wideband.
    hmm i'll see if i can relocate it somewhere else. currently its bolted to one of the steering column backets. thought that was sufficient chassis/ground.

You need to use an actual ground location.

Tuner in Training
    ok, i'll look around underneath the driver area for a solid chassis/frame for a ground. hopefully that'll fix it.

Tuner in Training
    so i attached it to the one ground that's above the hood release button and it still goes to 16.00 as i go further on the gas pedal. I'm stumped. It doesn't get any kr at all.

It's probably actually that lean then. The grounding issue is more to address the discrepancy between the analog output and the display.

Tuner in Training
    even if thats true, wouldnt it get tons of knock? a few days ago when i noticed it was showing 16.00 i added as much as 20% above the 7k-11k hrtz and it was still at 16.00. at 20% i think thats too much for stock bolt-ons even.

attached is a copy of my firebird with a cam and bolt-ons for comparison.
    Last edited by fst; 07-31-2015 at 05:31 AM.

If you trust the WB you could have low fuel pressure or some other problem... too lean wont knock. Some truck engines dont even go into PE, stay at 14.7AFR at WOT. 02's should show below 450mv if WB is showing 15-16AFR. Does it?

Frame 161 shows one 02 at 50mv... that is dead LEAN... Other 02 stays at 450 all the time, not sure what's going on with the 02's.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    If you trust the WB you could have low fuel pressure or some other problem... too lean wont knock. Some truck engines dont even go into PE, stay at 14.7AFR at WOT. 02's should show below 450mv if WB is showing 15-16AFR. Does it?

Frame 161 shows one 02 at 50mv... that is dead LEAN... Other 02 stays at 450 all the time, not sure what's going on with the 02's.
    i believe i removed the O2 for both sides on the scan. i am not at my laptop(at home), 10SS, can you tell which sensor frame 161 says please? i still have the driver side narrowband sensor in the bung but if its showing the passenger side then that explains the super low reading since its disconnected.

Tuner in Training
    i would hate to think the fuel pump's going for this one as well (the 98 firebird from a year ago was having fuel pressure/pump issues when i bought it).

Quote Originally Posted by fst View Post
    i believe i removed the O2 for both sides on the scan. i am not at my laptop(at home), 10SS, can you tell which sensor frame 161 says please? i still have the driver side narrowband sensor in the bung but if its showing the passenger side then that explains the super low reading since its disconnected.
    B1S1 = Bank 1 Sensor 1 (Drivers side I believe, Front). Def put your stock 02's back in and make a 2nd hole near the 1st stock 02 sensor for the WB. Stock 02's are awesome for many things, verifying your WB is one of them. Stock 02 should read around 450mv with ~14.7 on wideband, 500-950mv below ~14.5 wideband (rich), and 400-10mv above 14.7 on wideband (lean).
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Tuner in Training
    good news is that i fixed the lean issue and it was not in regards to the wideband. it ended up being the fuel filter. it was in need of change. its currently running ~12.5:1 from 2nd gear up to bottom of 3rd gear. Couldnt go any higher cause the belt came off during my pull. turns out now i need to change the crank/harmonic balancer pulley :-( cause its wobbling some.