Thread: tuning 2001 silverado need some tips.

Tuner in Training

tuning 2001 silverado need some tips.

hey guys. starting to tune a 2001 silverado. not really sure where to start. only other vehicle i have tuned is a 2008 cobalt ss. tuning a ls based engine is much different than tuning a lnf. my questions. really start with setting up a config file. the config i used for my cobalt is nowhere close to being able to work for this. if anyone has a link to some write ups i would appreciate it. i have been looking around, but idk if im asking the wrong questions in the search box but i cant seem to find these write ups. also, if anyone has a config file i can use i would appreciate it.. thank you all for the help.

Advanced Tuner
    I really liked this one for a start

http://gmtune.ru/hptuners-tuning-guide

Tuner in Training
    thank you both for the fast replies. very good info there! i have a question on E fans. I installed efans because i plan on building a turbo for this truck, hense why im learning how to tune it as well so when time comes i can tune myself on the turbo as well. but anyways. Efans. I have them now hooked up it all works. but fans wont come on with the AC. i think it is the pressure i have it set for? what pressure am i supposed to set the fans to come on when AC is on? thanks again.

Tuner in Training
    okay, guys so i have a couple questions. im going to load my tune up as it sits now. (right now im pissing in the wind until i can get a wide band hooked up but i dont have the funds to buy the one i want i will in a week or 2 so im going to wait.) So my main question though is on the spark table. its very confusing to me. it shows for example that at .36G/s i have 32* of timing. yet at WOT at .36G/s im running 17* of timing. So i looked at the other spark tables that add/subtract to the main spark and found that my IAT table subtracts a lot of timing if the IAT's are over 104*. and there's a couple other tables that subtract if it hits certain specs. but it doesnt = the 15* im missing. so where is the missing timing? haha... if someone could look over the tune and then maybe help me out with the timing. right now im still all stock timing. havnt touched it. just did my VE tuning, and my AFR tuning (best i can for now) left it a little rich since im not sure where its actually at. thanks for all the help guys!

silverado5.hpt

heres the tune. the only log i have are some WOT runs as i was just trying to dial in the AFR as best as i could. ill post that up so you can see. as well.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Also, you may want to check and make sure your IAT temperatures are accurate. I have a similar truck and my IAT's were reading about 20 degrees hotter than they really were. This was causing a huge timing reduction and loss of power for me.

$20 at harbor freight will get you an infrared temperature gun. Cheap tuning tool in my opinion, plus you can check your catalytic converters if you still have them...

main thing honestly that people overlook concerning i?t pilling timing is actually getting cold air into the motor. did a 12 camaro had high iat due to no real big inlet for outside cold air. removed the washer jug and sealed off wall on k+n cai to engine compt. iats dumped down 20 degrees. it no longer subtracts timing. so like mark said make sure it's accurate and if it is move your air inlet away from your hot motor and radiator.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the replies. It has a stock intake on it. With a k&n drop in filter. Electric fan swap, dougs. Mid length headers. And a 3" exhaust.

Of the IAT are not accurate how do I fix this? After I posted this I turned all the added spark table to 0. So they weren't a factor still only ran 14* of timing. Any ideas?

Advanced Tuner
    With the IAT

Engine Diagnostics>Airflow>Iat Sensor

Find your variation and then recalibrate your table from that. For instance the scanner says that it is 120* and the temperature is really only 105* at the sensor, then the variation would be .875. Select all of the positive numbers and then multiply everything by .875. Negative numbers You just multiply that by there positive equivalent...

Or you can just subtract the 15 degrees from all...

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for that. Appreciate it. I'll check it tomorrow. How do I check the intake air with the heat gun where should I get the temp from?

Advanced Tuner
    I would measure it right on the screen for the mass airflow sensor as the engine is running.

I decided to go with a MAP SD tune on my truck and I am going to remove the mass airflow sensor and wire in just an intake air temp sensor into the intake tube...

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! Right now my maf isn't in my tune I have it shut of and am tuning just off of VE tables. But I plan on hooking it back up. So I have a new question trying to figure out this timing thing.. looking at my log it shows I go only to .36g/cyl. That seems low. But I took the log and exported it to a excel spread sheet and when looking through that it is reading as high as .74 g/cyl. Is there a reason why my histogram would be reading wrong?

analyzing what i could of the log it honestly appears it's iat and ect pulling timing together at times. i realize it's hot out but your ride is hot hot hot. 2200ish rpm tps at 100 percent advance is 8.5 BUT ect is 216 and iat is 111. both well in the range to pull timing. iat is capable of 4 to 5 degrees. and ect 3 degrees and that's not factoring in multipliers or any other factor that may pull timing. so that's pulling 7 or 8 degrees without complicating things.