Thread: Stock 5.3l turbo VE map

Potential Tuner

Stock 5.3l turbo VE map

My dad and I just put together a stock 5.3l with a turbo. We have began to tune it, and I have been trying to find a VE map to get us close. The engine is bone stock aside from a set of valve springs, and we have attached a large turbo to it.

From what I understand, a VE map should be fairly standard for a given engine with a turbo. So in a sense, it shouldn't matter what turbo is on it, at a given pressure and rpm, it should have the same VE (correct me if I'm wrong).

So where do I look? Can anyone help us out?

Thanks in advance!

You're probably gonna need to use the 2bar/3bar enhancement to help expand your VE map into the Boosted regions. You are right in the fact that the typical air pressures will be somewhat stock, give or take 5% in some areas, due the the efficiency change in how your air actually flows due to the actual changed air/exhaust flow. Once you get the enhanced OS "write-entired" onto your ECM, begin by taking the 100 kpa line, and copy that whole line to the line of pressure your turbo will take you (155kpa or whatever). Then increase the new pasted values by like 15-20% (multiply by 1.15-1.2). Then interpolate between the stock 100kpa line you previously copied up to the newly multiplied kpa line you just made. That is probably the quickest way to get you started. It's a little messy starting out, but it's generally rich enough to keep you safe, yet dial you in quickly as it should have the direction your airflow was gonna change by. Of course there are regions you may never hit, but you can predictably hand smooth those spots by comparing nearby cells and the general overall slope of the 3-d table.
    Custom '85 Crew Cab Short Bed Lq4 swap
    '06 Turbo Vortec Maxx
    '87 Military K3500 LQ4 swap
    '96 K1500 lq4 swap, Howard Cam (216/224 @ .050, .551/.551, 114), Centerforce Dual Friction