Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stupid question about KR/knock

Timing adder for "egr" effect

Advanced Tuner
    But if it's adding/removing timing based on the same parameters as the main spark tables (airmass and RPM), what makes it any different than just modifying the main spark tables? That's waht I'm not clear on...

KR is not stored and is not used to update anything like LTFT or STFT.

The KR is responded to by using other tables such as the low octane and KR settings to respond with timing adjustments based on the amount of KR it sees.

Best practice is to get your fueling right then start playing with your timing.

Now seeing more KR when hot is normal. Depending on the temperature difference. Cooler air can mean reduced knock.

I'm proudly a successfull stalker of an honor roll student!
    Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    In closed loop the O2 sensors are not going to let it run lean or rich. Anytime you see KR the ECM is adjusting towards the low table. Make your average timing equal to the high table and you make best power.
    Sorry it took soo long to reply here but my laptop is no longer with us and I dread using the iBlo to type, but had to defend/clarify some things. In my guide Jtrosky is refering to I am not talking about a lean or rich condition which you're correct would be "adressed" by the PCM itself via fuel trims. (a common example we could use for this would be intake leak) I am in fact refering to the actual target AFR the PCM is trying to run as being set up by the end user, most importantly while in PE Mode, and basicly whether the AFR being utilized is appropriate for the exact setup. (about 11 to 1 forced induction & 13 to 1 N/A) Pick a number too rich and you WILL get knock. Simply put liquid doesn't like to get squeezed that much, and volitile liquids will let you know this. When the fuel enters your cylinders it is atomized NOT vapourized meaning that however small it may be, it's still technically in liquid form taking up a space which should now be considered less or un-squeezable. The higher quantity of volitale liquid you inject before compression, the higher the chance of pre-detonation unless more air can be supplied as well to help offset the ratio more towards your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Nopps View Post
    Sorry it took soo long to reply here but my laptop is no longer with us and I dread using the iBlo to type, but had to defend/clarify some things. In my guide Jtrosky is refering to I am not talking about a lean or rich condition which you're correct would be "adressed" by the PCM itself via fuel trims. (a common example we could use for this would be intake leak) I am in fact refering to the actual target AFR the PCM is trying to run as being set up by the end user, most importantly while in PE Mode, and basicly whether the AFR being utilized is appropriate for the exact setup. (about 11 to 1 forced induction & 13 to 1 N/A) Pick a number too rich and you WILL get knock. Simply put liquid doesn't like to get squeezed that much, and volitile liquids will let you know this. When the fuel enters your cylinders it is atomized NOT vapourized meaning that however small it may be, it's still technically in liquid form taking up a space which should now be considered less or un-squeezable. The higher quantity of volitale liquid you inject before compression, the higher the chance of pre-detonation unless more air can be supplied as well to help offset the ratio more towards your favor.
    Guess I miss understood what y'all were talking about I use the a/f adder tables for controlling pe timing and user base tables for closed loop fueling that way you can get the best of both.