Thread: Second Tuning Project - XR8 BA

Second Tuning Project - XR8 BA

Hello fellows,

Im doing my second car this weekend and it is an Xr8 BA (I think) with exhaust, CAI and some other stuff.

I've only done some work on an XR6T. I was wondering if the approach is the same and if some of you may have valuable advice....
    The client wants also some transmission tuning for more sporty feeling (BTR) - so any input on that will also be +++!

Regardless, I will post before and after (even if disappointing lol ) and overall impressions.

Thanks
    Paulo
    www.rpengines.com.au
    www.facebook.com/RobinsonPrecisionEngines
    Motorcycle Performance Engines and Tuning
    Automotive Performance Engines and Tuning

Bathurst, NSW Australia

Results and Analysis

So here are the results from the XR8 tuning yesterday.

The car was a stunner, really nice FPV 07 BF Boss302. With ZF transmission. - Here is the stock file for your viewing pleasure:Stock BF 07 XR8 FPV 302.hpt

Car had extractors, exhaust and growler intake manifold.

First impressions:
    • Car had ZF transmission and I didn't have the beta version (I'm on it), so couldn't tune it.
    • Car didn't have VVT, I thought it would. What V8 models have VVT?
    • No flash issues, software worked great.

Tuning - I will post the dyno graphs asap

Car was making power up top so increased rpm limit to 6500 rpm:
    -P0219 Engine Overspeed Error (couldn't disable it in the software)
    -P0701 Transmission Control System Out of Range/Performance

This would make the transmission into limp mode and kill all power.
    Had to drop limit to 6300 rpm to avoid these errors. Any way around them? ZF tuning solves the second?

Leaned it out a bit as it was really rich. Gained a bit of power up top. Tried changing injector values but ended up just changing MPA. Did some ignition timing too with small improvements

Main issue
    Car was great on the dyno and made a bit more power (10 wkw if I remember correctly) but when I took it out it was cutting out (on the street) under full throttle (and also part throttle) flashing the EML light and needed to be restarted to work again. Has anyone faced this before? I believe it may be because of O2 sensors...the car has o2 sensor cheaters or whatever they are. Any ideas?

I will get it back to fix this issue and do some transmission tuning.

Any help or feedback greatly appreciated.
    Paulo
    www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia

Dyno Graph

Here is the result:

www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia

ZF and fix

Well given the overwhelming response to my posts I feel I should give some more info as some people may encounter the same issues.

I got the car back and it was flashing the ETC Light and not the EML as I reported previously. I changed the ETC values back to stock and all was great. I suspect the ETC maximum value is the culprit.

Anyways, here is the entire read from the car with the ZF transmission calibration inside it. I'm going to play around with it...hopefully all goes well -FPV 07 Modified engine Cal - Stock ZF.hpt

Paulo
    www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Paulo,

I would love to give some feedback, but I haven't played with 1 as yet, I tried a naturally aspirated years ago on 98Ron & couldn't even get an extra 10% out of it so thought they must be running on the borderline to best setup from factory, the engine torque table did help with trans shifting back then though seeing the ZF was 4 or more years before we got access to it via HPT!

But glad you got on top of it, Nice work!

Cheers Grant

Talking Shift Points = success

So one more entry on this monologue ...I have played with the ZF all day... I have to thank this forum for the infos shared namely CAT600 for his comment on the Shift patterns that relate to the Perf Mode...

I've changed the shift points on schedules 3/4/7/8/12/13/17/18/22/23. These only influenced the Performance mode, however I don't know which one did actually change the shift points of all of them did. All I can tell you is it works.

Changed them so I could get 6500 rpm shifts in all gears (only tested till 4th). Had to correct my first estimate several times with lost time due to transmission temperature preventing straight calibrations.

Also changed the downshift points so that you actually get some engine braking and the engine is not freewheeling. you can clearly feel it downshifting 4-3-2-1 and the car always feels ready for action like when coming to a slow corner, you are already in second gear...

Here is the file: FPV 07 Modified engine Cal - Modified ZF.hpt

Now on to the critical - shift firmness...Im a little more worried about this as I understand it may actually damage the box if I botch it up... I increased the calculated engine torque by 30% and that increased the firmness a little but I would like some more. Any ideas?

Regards,
    Paulo
    www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia

Hey Grant! Welcome haha

I have only just seen your post. ZF calibration went better than expected actually.
    www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia

Tuner
    Hi Paulo

There maybe a few v8 maps in the original Australian fords post.
    I haven't had much to do with the xr8's
    CAT600 or Jet could shed some light on some V8 stuff for you.

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Paulo,

Thats awesome & brave work with the ZF, as I said back in the day the only option I had to help trans was really the only thing that felt better was the engine torque table & I think from memory I maxxed it out so it wasn't affected at all, but will need to re-confirm once I'm back in the workshop on monday!

Obviously once you change that then it will affect the changes in the ZF side even more now thats been adjusted & as we know if you go too far it can be detrimental & also takes a while for it to undo the learnt changes from what I read!

Advanced Tuner
    A quote from a Nizpro article. " We calibrate the TCU for extra apply and clutch holding pressures, shorten full throttle up shift times whilst adjusting torque reduction strategies"

Am I correct in saying your advertising all over gumtree as a professional ford tuner but spitballing calibrations on someones pride n joy ?

Well done
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Advanced Tuner
    Who you talking about Jet???

I hope it's not me I run a workshop & not selling crap anywhere least of all on gumtree... or eBay for that matter!

No Grant not you OP iam referring to
    FG F6 400+RWKW .....10.9 @ 132mph.... FIRST 10sec F6 in SA ( sold )
    DYNO DYNAMICS 1200hp ...... Tuning weapon..... ( sold )
    OFFICIAL JONNY TIG INDUSTRIES SUPPLIER ..... Biggest and lightest intercoolers for B and F falcons
    SUBARU BRZ ......AVO TURBO KIT coming......soon
    VF R8 CLUBSPORT SV...... 340FWKW.....ASE BIG SINGLE KIT .....one day

Cool Jet

**I see your true colors shining true**

I will let you know that my marketing is none of your concern.

This customer is fully aware this is my first XR8 and also first ZF calibration. He spent the day with me on the dyno doing the engine calibration and was happy to leave the car again for a transmission calibration which I believe I've been quite successful with.

Please refrain from addressing me or any of my threads with your arrogance and negativity.

--------

Back on topic - I may try some changes to shift properties today, hopefully getting firmer shifts. Any input on what I've done so far is welcome.
    www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia

Advanced Tuner
    Maybe do a compare of this ZF tune with a much later model tune to see what tables have been played with.
    I just compared your 07 BF V8 ZF with a 10 FGt and you can at least see what tables you should probably leave alone cause the factory didn't touch it over the years and what tables have been changed. For example under torque management, Torque reduction 1st to Rev has been left untouched between the above tunes but upshift tables are very different.
    I would like to do a compare of the FPV turbo against non FPV turbo to see if any difference. Even comparing a N/a 6 ZF tune to a turbo zf would point you in the right direction.
    I am at the point of working out what are the best tables to play with also.

Results and reaction

Thanks turbotrana didn't think of that. I will surely have a look at the evolution through the years.

Customer picked the car up today and I went for a test drive with me explaining the gearbox differences. Got up to 270 kph with him driving - what a nutter!
    He was very happy with the result, both the added firmness and the new shift points in performance mode.

All in all a great experience for both.

Here is the final file - FINAL - BF 07 XR8 FPV 302.hpt

And the results:

Now I tried using the new scanner and I think it updated the vcm interface so I can't connect to the 2.24 scanner. Has anyone found a way around this?

Thanks,
    Paulo
    Last edited by RPE-Tuning; 08-03-2015 at 12:33 AM. Reason: one wrong word
    www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia

Advanced Tuner
    I do remember reading a couple of times other's having issues going back to 2.24 scanner after 2.25 & yeah there is a firmware(for dongle) update with certain updates!

I seem to remember if you download the latest 2.24 scanner it should be compatible with what's been updated on 2.25

What's with the drop off at end of dyno run's?

Thanks I will try that.

You mean when power drops? Thats jsut how the dyno represents when you hit the limiter.
    www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia

Advanced Tuner
    No Worries!

Yeah with my dyno (mainline) I just set the end speed (rpm or kmh) & it finishes at that point without the drop off, but just noticed it say's at fly so what type of dyno is it?

Never used mailine but they are suppose to be really good. Whats your opinion of them?

This is dyno dynamics shootout mode. It calculates engine bhp based on some assumptions. You basically tell it what sort of engine it is (V8 N/A) and it gives you a best estimate.
    www.rpengines.com.au

Bathurst, NSW Australia