Thread: 400 SBC with TPI and LS Control

Tuner in Training

400 SBC with TPI and LS Control

I recently finished my 400 small block with tuned port injection. I installed twin t3/t4 turbos, and did a 24x upgrade from EFI Connections to use LS control. I am very new to this, and I had a guy that has tuned many LS and LS turbo setups look at my car. We are still unable to get the car to run anywhere near right. It pops when cranking, stumbles when you give any throttle, completely falls apart at medium to high RPM, and has NO power at all. It sounds great at idle, but none of the changes to the tune seem to make much difference. I know many people have used stock tuned port with boost to make good power. I have upgraded to 50 lb tuned port injectors, but tuned port runs on 48 psi fuel pressure. I don't know how that would effect tuning. I have repined the computer injector wiring and coil wiring for the different firing order, but I left the tune alone since I changed the pins. I am ready to throw the LS computer and all the fuel injection stuff that I have spent so much time and money on in the garbage and put the carb back on. I don't even know how to find someone that can tune this thing in Maine. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Post your tune and a log. Maybe then someone can help you out better.

Tuner in Training
    I am trying to log, but I don't know how to make it log in 2 bar above 105 kpa.

Tuner in Training
    Here is my tune and the log, but it won't log above 105 kpa. It also won't rev above 3500 or so.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Philsautobody; 07-22-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Got it in 2 bar, I am very new to this, but it looks like severe timing retard due to a false knock. I have aftermarket heads with triple valve springs. Looking at the data, it doesn't look like knock, and it doesn't seem like it would knock at that time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Philsautobody; 07-22-2015 at 04:33 PM.

First thing you need to do is get your scanner in-line. Remove MAF, STFT, LTFT, FTC and the two O2 Volt PIDs from you table and chart displays. Add Dynamic Airflow, Delivered Engine Torque, Burst knock retard and Air Fuel Ratio Commanded Hi Res. Additionally either add (or see if one becomes supported with you new PID's list and AFR error PID. In your setup it would be 100*([PID.6001]-[AUX.20011])/[AUX.20011] which is your 100*(dynojet wb-commanded AFR)/commanded AFR.

Both logs look lean in alot of area's and even in the high load area's which may be contributing to your knock. Have you validated the wideband data being reported is accurate? Can you turn Closed loop back on and see that the narrowbands and wideband are in sync with each other? Make sure both the tune stoich and the AFR meter/analog outputs are all saying the same AFR...tune right now is 14.68. S/B more like 14.2 but we can address that later because I would like to see you go to Lambda....

Once you have validated the wideband information and had a chance to log low to medium cruise area's and have some of the VE dialed in we can take another look. I would think the Gen 2 400 SBC would take a tad more timing....need to give it fuel to start.

Lastly, can you provide the part number of the injectors please.

Ed M
    Last edited by mowton; 07-22-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    2004 Vette Coupe, LS2, MN6, Vararam, ARH/CATs, Ti's, 4:10, Trickflow 215, 30# SVO, Vette Doctors Cam, Fast 90/90, DD McLeod, DTE Brace, Hurst shifter, Bilsteins etc. 480/430

ERM Performance Tuning -- Interactive Learning ..from tuning software training to custom tunes
    HP Tuners Dealer- VCM Suite (free 2hr training session with purchase), credits and new Version 2.0 turtorial available
    http://www.ermperformancetuning.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ERMPerformanceTuning

[email protected]

Tuner in Training
    I added all those things to the PID list, and removed the others. How do I turn closed loop back on, do I have to just turn ltft and stft back on? And will it show what you want with the O2 volts removed from the PID list? Also, you say get the VE dialed in, how do I do that? I attached my injector info. More info on engine:

Lunati cam with 235?/240? duration at .050, .490/.490 in. lift, and 112? lobe separation

Intake Runner Volume (cc): 184cc - Exhaust Runner Volume (cc): 68cc - CNC-Machined Intake Runner: No - CNC-Machined Exhaust Runner: No - Intake Port Location: Standard - Exhaust Port Shape: Square - Exhaust Port Location: Standard - Intake Valves Included: Yes - Intake Valve Diameter (in): 2.020 in. - Exhaust Valves Included: Yes - Exhaust Valve Diameter (in): 1.600 in. - Intake Valve Angle: 20

Thanks so much for looking at this for me.
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images